A little help for the beginner

Aboyspool

Apr 24, 2021
Sacramento, Ca
6000 gallon oval 22x12x48 sand filter intex clear 15000gal swg

Too much salt I think I added 6 bags of Morton’s ran pump 24 hours tested and it read 2500 so yesterday (should of turned the pump on)
added another bag 42 lbs and
3 cups of stabilizer (was at 50) and
one qt of bleach (fc was 0)
Other numbers - hardness 500 and
ph 7.8 alkalinity 100

ran the pump another 24 hours and today I’m reading at 5800 on the test strips I’m draining water now. Here are my other levels been waiting a week for my test kit thru tf got the starter $150 kit once it gets here I’ll have better numbers
Today: Hardness 250. chlorine and fc 3, ph7.2, alkalinity 120, stabilizer 100

Until I can get the salt in check to run the swg what should I do? I have not added muratic acid yet? When should I add bleach again?

About,
Hi and welcome. That pool calculates to some 6k gallons. Every 40lb bag gives you 800 ppm salt which equates to 5600ppm now. In order to get to approximately 3500ppm you'd need to drain off 2100 gallons or 35% of the water. I'd recommend you wait for the kit to arrives and not add anything except some liquid chlorine 5 ppm wort according to poolmath calculations. I'm not convinced any of your numbers are good. Once the kit arrives do a complete test and report back.

About,
Hi and welcome. That pool calculates to some 6k gallons. Every 40lb bag gives you 800 ppm salt which equates to 5600ppm now. In order to get to approximately 3500ppm you'd need to drain off 2100 gallons or 35% of the water. I'd recommend you wait for the kit to arrives and not add anything except some liquid chlorine 5 ppm wort according to poolmath calculations. I'm not convinced any of your numbers are good. Once the kit arrives do a complete test and report back.
Ok pump and dumped lastnight my test strips show today as 4010 but leslies as of yesterday before my last pump and dump was 3570 and I was able to run my swg yesterday and today so the salt should be below 4000 for the swg to start up, will do another salt test tomorrow. Here are the numbers last night before pump and dump on the left (leslies) and tonight on the right (tf test kit)
Hardness 45/ 50
Fc 3.17/ 3.5
Cc. 3.17. / .5
Ph 7.9/. 7.0
Alkalinity 128/ 140
Stabilizer 8/ added 5 cups tonight
Phosphates 784

Help please I’ll start the swg again tomorrow morning

Don't add either of those products. Your pH test is 7.0 and is fine up to 7.9, so no acid. Phosphates are not a TFPC concern and if you choose to act then research the implications for your system. FC and CYA are your primary concerns now.

Reactions: Aboyspool
A,

welcome to the forum

pool stores are historically way out at the edge of reality when it comes to testing and recommended chemicals.

tfp has developed their approach with solid science, along with a dose of real workld experaise thru years of pool managemen.

start here. This will help

And I second don’t add anything other than chlorine until your test kit arrives.

and when you get a few minutes create your signature, will reduce the number of questions you get from the forum members when your asking questions

good group here, they will help you get it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.