A little Frustrated or Impatient???

Coach_1

May 10, 2016
Duncan, Ok
Please tell me I’m just being impatient. So I opened my pool Monday 5-18-20 and it was green and stuff but not as bad as the past couple years. Started the SLAM as I’ve done for a couple years now. The water seemed to go from green to gray overnight and hasn’t changed since Tuesday. Vacuuming and brushing twice daily as well as backwashing and checking chlorine 3 times daily. What am I missing ? Green picture is from opening day and gray picture is today.
Fc 18
Cc 1
Cya 50
TA 60
Ph 7.4 before slam

Attachments

• 2C70CD74-64A6-4B28-9EDB-A7DD2EB58575.jpeg
    2C70CD74-64A6-4B28-9EDB-A7DD2EB58575.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 816E9B9A-7329-4C4A-B914-26E219372B37.jpeg
    816E9B9A-7329-4C4A-B914-26E219372B37.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 37
This is very normal, and you are only 4 days into the SLAM. Please tell us a little more about your circulation system. How many skimmers, main drains, returns and where are they located? Plumbing is 1.5" or 2"?

When did you close your pool? And what exactly did you do? Do you have a solid cover or mesh cover? A SLAM can take anywhere from 4 days, all the way until 14 days, and a lot depends on the system itself. Your pool is quite large and will take some time. Be patient and you will get through this.

Take pictures at the same time in the same spot daily so you can see your progress. Also, you should keep a log of your levels daily and how much you add daily, and your levels. If you continue to decrease in the addition of liquid chlorine, you are making progress.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Mesh cover (big blue safety cover)
1.5 pipes
1 main and 1 skimmer in the deep
4 returns ( 2 shallow, 1 mid and 1 deep)

I had a local company close the pool at the end of September as my work schedule at the time was really busy and had no time to mess with the pool. From the looks of it they plugged the returns, blew the lines out first, added a puck floater, took the backwash hose off, and took off the 2 plugs from the bottom of the pump housing and turned the filter to closed.

Give the SLAM some time, and you will be fine. There are a few things you can do. Closing the pool in the middle of October and opening the pool at least 30 days before the holiday weekend will make a difference. The other option you have is to cover 80% of the pool with a solid tarp, secure properly, and you can even remove in the winter if you want. This will keep the sun out of the pool as well.

The best thing to do is open the pool up early as your SLAM will go real quick with the cooler temperatures, and once done, your PUMP run time will be at a minimum. I help a few friends close their pools with mesh covers and no matter what if we close mid September, and open about 2 weeks before the holiday, we always have issues with algae. My pool was closed mid September and opened about 30 days ago. Took about 6 hours to clear the pool, but I have a solid tarp, no safety and this makes a huge difference.

The other thing is that you should prepare the pool for closing either by bringing up to SLAM or using Poly 60, not both. You may want to use the Kemtek Poly 60, but will probably require about 1.5 bottles, or $30 and this will get you through the winter. However, the pool must be super clean before doing this. Then you can tell the pool company to not add anything to the pool as it is not needed.

Where were your levels at closing last year?

It is still really early like was said. If you want you could open the filter and try a deep clean. Then you know the sand isn't going to be a problem.

After another barrage of storms and cleaning debris out in the middle of one this morning the pool is looking a tad better. Following the steps by @Smykowski i deep cleaned the filter this morning. Looked like lake water coming out of it for a good 45 minutes. So hopefully that helps.

Attachments

• 415D572B-979E-44E3-89CA-0B05AEBB31A8.jpeg
    415D572B-979E-44E3-89CA-0B05AEBB31A8.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 38

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another day of storms and rain but another day of improvement. Wen can see the main drain in the deep and sparkles on the floor in the shallow. Getting close. Hopefully we can get a break in the weather soon. Gotta love May in Oklahoma.

Reactions: IceShadow
Older sand filters better than newer sand, so I wouldn't change it. You can add a little DE - if you do it will clog up much faster as it will filter much finer particles, but backwashing takes care of that. You do need to watch the filter to make sure it doesn't spike in pressure, though. Here's the info on that:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.