Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Pool has a spa spillover which runs great when pool filter is operated over roughly 2000 RPM. I've been thinking that if I could get that spillover to stop, it will keep pH from rising so quickly and I won't have many deposits on stone, etc. Is there an easy way to do this? ...Besides running the spa all the time lol. The spillover option in AquaPlus is disabled. I just started 1200 RPM 24/7 and spillover trickles into pool. I suppose I could lower to 800 or so, but not sure I want (or should) do that, just to stop trickle. I know if I can stop spillover that I should test both pool & spa going forward... or is it best to test even now since spa is just a trickle into pool? I run on high 2hrs weekdays and 10hrs weekends for autovac.

Thoughts?

The way mine is set up is that when the system is in pool mode there is 1 return going into the spa to circulate the water and have it spill over. I believe you need to find the valve for that return and shut it off. If you have a manual valve, you could have your pool company come and install an electronic valve for you so you could do this all from your automation setup. You need to have it run at least an hour or so each day so that the water circulates and doesn't get stagnant. You wouldn't need to test and adjust chemicals separately as long as you let the spill over run for an hour or so each day.

My first thought is, "Why run it 24/7?" I get by with a couple hours a day. It looks like your yard is much like mine -- mostly concrete. Do you really need so much filtration?

What is your TA and what's the TA of the refill water? High TA will keep driving pH up, and topping off with high TA water just aggravates it.

Reactions: drummerman951

As Justin says.. you need to turn off what is called a Make-Up valve...

Show us some pics of your equipment pad all around your Return plumbing and we can help you find it.

Once you shut off the make-up valve you can then Enable the spillover function on your automation and run it for half an hour a couple of times a day to keep the spa water chlorinated and fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The spillover option in AquaPlus is disabled.
Why? I am not familiar with that automation but can you not schedule the Spillover to just run for 30 minutes or so twice per day and shut off the make up to the spa?

My first thought is, "Why run it 24/7?" I get by with a couple hours a day. It looks like your yard is much like mine -- mostly concrete. Do you really need so much filtration?

What is your TA and what's the TA of the refill water? High TA will keep driving pH up, and topping off with high TA water just aggravates it.
Thanks. Just trying 24/7 to solve a separate concern. My PoolMath log link is in my signature.

Why? I am not familiar with that automation but can you not schedule the Spillover to just run for 30 minutes or so twice per day and shut off the make up to the spa?
When the pool is filtering, the spa spillover is always running... even when disabled in panel. That is probably due to the spa bypass valve, which I assume is for spa chlorination when spa isn't "on".

Show us some pics of your equipment pad all around your Return plumbing and we can help you find it.

Once you shut off the make-up valve you can then Enable the spillover function on your automation and run it for half an hour a couple of times a day to keep the spa water chlorinated and fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I'll go snap a picture now but I hope it's the spa bypass valve.... that would explain why spillover always runs with pool.

The way mine is set up is that when the system is in pool mode there is 1 return going into the spa to circulate the water and have it spill over. I believe you need to find the valve for that return and shut it off. If you have a manual valve, you could have your pool company come and install an electronic valve for you so you could do this all from your automation setup. You need to have it run at least an hour or so each day so that the water circulates and doesn't get stagnant. You wouldn't need to test and adjust chemicals separately as long as you let the spill over run for an hour or so each day.
Thanks for that! I do have a spa bypass valve but I've never used it. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks for that! I do have a spa bypass valve but I've never used it. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
Heck I just went out there and turned the valve.... no more spillover! So now I can enable spillover setting and program for an hour a day. Thanks again.

Reactions: justinc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heck I just went out there and turned the valve.... no more spillover! So now I can enable spillover setting and program for an hour a day. Thanks again.

Reactions: justinc

Thanks,

Jim R.
Think this is handled but here's a pic... I turned the spa bypass (blue handle) off. Hopefully this will allow me to program spillover to operate when I want it to. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.