A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Marlahoutex

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2014
Houston tx
I think my husband is finally on board with a pool! Either that or he's tired of hearing me constantly talk about wanting one!

I am now at the point where I'm trying to find some PBs who will actually build in town and have them come out and look at our space. I've talked to 4 - 3 said no to building inside the loop and the other gave me a ball park number over the phone. It was out of our budget range, although I figured as much because he's known for high end pools, but heck if you don't ask... In addition, he tried to talk me out of salt water. Left a message for another PB and am waiting to hear back. Will continue to call some more PBs. I didn't realize how frustrating this part would be. Please PM me if you have any recommendations.

So that is where I am at at this time. Here is a pic of the backyard. I had decided a while back I wasn't going to do much with it until we decided on a pool. From reading y'alls builds, I have lots of ideas, none which of course, include a tree in the middle of the pool! (Sorry DivinDave, it'll have to go). The only "for sure" things I want are salt water, PebbleSheen with Shimmering Shells, benches and a water feature. I'm waiting on Umm's pool to finish before I decide on the beads. I am unsure about a baja shelf. My husband wants a fire pit and neither of us want a spa. I think the best shape that will give us the most pool will be a square. Could be interesting.

Thanks to all who have shared their ideas and builds here on TFP! I welcome all ideas for my pool. I'm excited but really nervous to start this adventure! I know I can do it will y'alls support!

So I didn't get this pic to upload.... Still working on it.

So exciting to start a pool. Hopefully my finish will be done soon and you can make a decision!

What restrictions does Houston have about trees? I know if your yard was in Austin I don't think it would be possible to build a pool unless you had a large side yard we aren't seeing. In Austin if a tree has over I think a 10" trunk then the arborist has to come out and inspect the tree. If it is too large then it is considered protected and then there are some crazy rules about how close you can build to the tree. Say the trunk is 20" diameter. Then the protected zone is 20' diameter around the tree. Half of that area you can't even touch so you can't dig within 10' of the tree. Outside the 10' to 20' you can only cover 1/2 of that area. And don't even think you can chop the tree down because it is very special. (Can you sense my sarcasm?) Thankfully my protected trees are on the other side of my yard from the pool. I have a coworker that has a special "mini garden" on the back side of his house because of a tree because when he added to his house he couldn't build within 10' of a protected tree so there is a notch out of his house.

I am sure Kim will be along shortly to spend your money!

No, Houston doesn't have any rules like that about trees. If it did, there would be a whole lot less McMansions being built. I wouldn't be surprised if my tree was dying anyway because it's dropping lots of limbs.

Your picture popped up after I hit send... What a lovely space for a pool!

That's too bad about the tree, but it will be worth it. We had to say goodbye to two trees, but it was time for a new chapter...

So happy for you!
Suz.

double posted.

Haha they even have that situation covered in Austin. If your tree is dying then the arborist will 'prescribe' treatment you must do or you will be fined. After all the tree is special right? No cutting that thing down unless it is completely dead. Good thing you don't have those kind of rules.

They still build the McMansions in Austin but they have funny shapes because they go around the special trees. I think it gives the houses character in a weird unplanned type of way.

In the pic, the detached garage is on the west side and the is right behind the green philodendron on the north. I'll get some more pics later of the deck and patio. We are planning on a new deck and a pergola which we will do ourselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And what does it mean to be inside the loop -- why would that be a problem?

Not to speak for Marla. But... haha.

The city of Houston covers a VERY large area. Inside the loop means inside Loop 610 which is the inner loop around the central part of Houston. There is an outer loop - The Sam Houston Tollway. And and even further out loop being built called The Grand Parkway.

So the essence is really location. Which good PBs are close enough to want to do that job. I'm not far from the northern city limit of Houston and I bet I'm 30 miles from Marla and possibly more.

In addition, he tried to talk me out of salt water.

Something to consider. Our PB wouldn't do an SWCG for us either. And the reason was our pool is very close to the house so any window frames, furniture etc would be subject to corrosion.

We already see that on our wrought iron fence from (we think) the fertilizer the lawn company puts down. Three years old and the bottom of the fence is already eaten away.

However, I asked the PB if there was anything he was using equipment or material -wise that would preclude us from adding an SWCG later and he said no. Just seal the stone work.

So - my unsolicited advice would be to find the best guy in your price range first. Then if you have to, you can add the equipment later.

The person we are trusting with our yard and pool is way more important to us than anything else.

But that may just be us.

Good luck!

We met with five PBs are every one supported SWCGs. Annapolis is on the Chesapeake Bay with salinity in the 35-40 ppt range verses a pool with salinity of 3-4. Relatively speaking, pools are fresh water!!! Or maybe our PBs are just behind the curve - ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Helen,

Sorry I missed your first question. I liked the raised wall look with stacked stone and varying heights, but I also like the way glass tiles look. LOL! I am really quite open to design and am looking forward to seeing what the PBs come up with. We actually laid string with stakes in the yard and think we could squeeze in a 20x20 pool.

Yay Marla!!! I'm SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I'm also currently living vicariously through the builds of others until we can do ours. Although, I enjoy them so much and they are all so beautiful and unique that I will continue that habit after ours is completed!
I pray you find the PERFECT builder for your dream come true!
Blessings!
Denise

We actually laid string with stakes in the yard and think we could squeeze in a 20x20 pool.

We did the same thing! When they dug the hole it looked SO MUCH BIGGER.

There are a couple of folks on our street getting pools. And all 3 of us reacted the same way when we saw the hole in the ground - oh no what have we done! Haha.

It is unsettling going through it the first time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.