A few questions about converting

That's no good news, Anthony. Get some rest, and I hope you'll get better soon, and that next summer will indeed be kinder to you.

So NOW my pump is going - just started a thread on it - screeching noise when it kicked on this morning. Probably bearings. ARRGHHH!!!! More detail on all this in the thread I started in "pumps, etc." Not a huge job but....not what I needed right now.

Last edited:
Actually only 7 years since service was done on it. Not taking it back down there - bad time of year to not be running the filter. Probably will just pick up whatever the local pool company has- another Hayward most likely. Will call them. Darn...just can't catch a break here (other than the one in my back... 😖 )

+1 for VSP. It will give you better options and certainly better electric bills if you end up going SWG next year. If you stay with Baqua or go Chlorine it will still pay for itself with our outrageous Northeast electric bills.

Sorry you got more added to the already full plate. Play lotto. You’re overdue for a win.

I know, but, gotta move on this pretty quick. I'll see what the local guy has - emailed him and see if he'd even be willing to install it if he has any time to even fit it in. I'd do it but really am under doctor's and PT orders to take things a bit easier - worse time of year to do that with all the yard work, etc. Easiest possible installation is what I'm looking for right now without altering anything that would need altering in the way of how the pump attaches to the pad, etc. Gotta keep this simple.

Last edited:
California has already gone to require variable speed pump motors.. I'm not sure where PA is on that yet. Its my understanding that requirement goes nationwide next year anyway.
Great idea Guzz !! Once the government bans them he can sell his hardly used pump for DOUBLE what he paid for it. Nobody cares until big brother says they can’t. Then they want to soooooooo bad. Lol.

Yes. All of the regents need replacing around 2 years. The ones you are currently still using have probably been replaced sooner than the ones that you didn’t need. Unless you bought the whole kit new each time. Then they are the same age and still good.
I just replace reagents as they get low. Usually order right from Taylor. The chlorine reagents, obviously, I've not used at all. Thanks for mentioning it. Another item to add to my list - might as well wait till closer to spring to get new ones (unless I still decide to drain and do this before closing yet- as I dither over this the more weeks go by, the less advantageous it almost appears).
If you've gotten them from Taylor all the bottles should have expiration dates on them. At least all the bottles in my K2006 did.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anthony, that diagnosis sucks. You don't need more to deal with. Now the pump! I admire your stick-to-it no-matter-what attitude. Keep your head up; things HAVE to begin to go your way. You're waaaay overdue!

Wishin' you all the best, man! Hang in there. :paddle:

Once the government bans them he can sell his hardly used pump for DOUBLE what he paid for it.

Yeah..but..who will want it if not allowed to use it? This sort of thing is bit ridiculous from the standpoint of not being able to monitor if anyone bothers to run their VS pump at lower speeds anyway. Granted that they take less power overall than single speed, but still. just another way of the government sticking it to the pool customer and industry.

Anthony, that diagnosis sucks. You don't need more to deal with. Now the pump! I admire your stick-to-it no-matter-what attitude. Keep your head up; things HAVE to begin to go your way. You're waaaay overdue!

Wishin' you all the best, man! Hang in there. :paddle:

Thanks Gary. As to 'sticking with it no matter what', I taught elementary instrumental music beginners - so I learned patience and determination over the years!! Teaching 4th graders how to play brass and woodwind instruments was one of those 'sink or swim' jobs. So I guess I learned a lot about focusing on a goal and not letting go of it, e.g. my persistence with baquacil over the years??

Last edited:
Yeah..but..who will want it if not allowed to use it? This sort of thing is bit ridiculous from the standpoint of not being able to monitor if anyone bothers to run their VS pump at lower speeds anyway. Granted that they take less power overall than single speed, but still. just another way of the government sticking it to the pool customer and industry.
Without knowing any details on this proposed ban, I would imagine it is like most bans. Not a ban on using it. Just a ban on the commercial sale of it. So you could sell your single speed pump, but a retailer couldn't sell one. This is how it usually goes. Cars get stricter emissions requirements, only applies to new vehicles. Existing ones only have to meet emmission for the year they were made. Incandescent bulbs were banned, but you could buy remaining stock and use them.

Granted that they take less power overall than single speed
I've heard this, and it doesn't seem right to me. At least, running a VS pump at full speed. Same size pump moving same amount of water should equal same amount of power. Most motors are already 90% efficient or so, so there's not too much room there. I suppose you might get a % or two better, but the vast majority of the savings is being able to run the pump at a lower speed, since power and flow rate aren't linear.

I've heard this, and it doesn't seem right to me. At least, running a VS pump at full speed
Correct. Running my 3Hp pump wide open draws 2700+ watts. It’s a beast. But 1200 Rpms which is enough for skimming and the SWG is 115 ish watts.

Reactions: jseyfert3
Hey Tony,

If your pool store doesn't have a VS in stock, then ask them if they could lend you a pump while waiting for yours.

I replaced my at least 20 years old single speed with a VS recently. Thought I'd do it in winter while the old pump is still working rather than in summer in an emergency situation. I'm so glad I did it. Not just less electricity, also a lot quieter - that background humming in the back yard is finally gone, and I'm sure my neighbours are very grateful, too.

Correct. Running my 3Hp pump wide open draws 2700+ watts. It’s a beast. But 1200 Rpms which is enough for skimming and the SWG is 115 ish watts.
Wow. My Intex is rated for 4 A, which would be 480 W. And if I had to guess, probably moving similar or even more water (thanks to lower pressure drop of your larger plumbing and bigger filters compared to mine).

that background humming in the back yard is finally gone, and I'm sure my neighbours are very grateful, too
I don’t know how people deal with it. I go to customers homes and I can tell from the driveway that the neighbors pump is running a whole yard away. I can only imagine hearing it from their own backyard every day. Mine is 15 ft from the hangout area and nobody has ever heard it.

Reactions: mgtfp
I really don't know what to do on the pump. Starting to somewhat 'wear down' thinking about all things pool-related this summer. I watched a few videos on how to replace the motor on the Hayward - doesn't look too bad with the exception of holding the shaft while turning the impeller off. Looks to be room to get an open-end wrench in there. A guy in one of the videos, however, really had trouble and wound up taking the switch apart (where the wiring is). I don't recall messing with the wiring on the pump. To take mine off to get it down to the Electric repair shop, I believe I disconnected the wires where they go in the timer box and took along the whole cable with the wiring still attached to the motor. And I know I've never replaced an entire pump before since then you have to mess with the plumbing. I'm still tired of tackling bigger mechanically-oriented jobs ever since taking out and putting a new engine in my '74 Cub Cadet tractor last year! Took about a half-year in all with taking copious notes and pictures of everything as I went along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.