A few Qs on how to Close/Winterize/Blow Out Paramount In Floor Cleaning System?

Ok, so last (possibly) unresolved question: Do I remove the pop-up jets from the top step and sitting shelf and plug them with regular winterizing plugs instead?

Were the pop-ups removed in past winters?

Paramount has special removal tools...

Reactions: k.alexander
Were the pop-ups removed in past winters?

Paramount has special removal tools...

Yes, from what I remember the pop-up that's on my top step (of three steps (each step has a pop-up)) was removed (currently my water level already lowered is only about 2" above that step; and then the pop-up that's on a little step/sitting shelf on the other side of the pool by the deep end (this is currently about 7-8" below current lower water level.
I was able to unscrew one of them just by hand yesterday, didn't try the other one yet.

Ok, so I know I've bugged you guys sufficiently, but after reading and reading some more, I think I understand the process now. It's actually quite simple once you understand it. Only problem is that I don't have any blow-thru plugs; I tried to get some at local pool stores and they don't have them, and nowhere online will get them to me by tomorrow. The pool was definitely not closed with blow thru plugs because I remember removing them from the Paramount system canister. So question is, if the pro pool people closing my pool will have pro compressor, etc., can we just blow air through each of the ports (without the blow thru plugs) and quickly close them with regular plugs?

can we just blow air through each of the ports (without the blow thru plugs) and quickly close them with regular plugs?

Again, if the ports are flush, I see no problem with this, but it has to be quick and you must have 2 hands. You would be surprised if a plug is inserted quickly, that 3 or 4 turns and a few seconds later and you are done. Considering you will have no water that can show you small tiny bubbles, I would shut off blower and listen carefully for air. I think the reason why the Paramount blow-thru plugs are cut is because the black housing is this way as well.

Can you take a close picture of the canister, the other side as I believe you already took a few. Thank you.

EDIT:

I just increased the size 400% on my computer screen (well really a TV) in the office and the plugs are cut for a reason, so the probability is the answer is "NO". However, the plumbing should be 1.5" and you may be able to get an extended #7 or # 8 plug in there. See pictures in my thread.

The extended plugs will probably not be available locally, and as mentioned before, the paramount can be closed at a later time, but you can probably get the # 8 plugs and insert quickly in the piping.

www.poolweb.com has these special plugs. I purchased some of them just in case the # 10's give me a problem or a thread is stripped upon closing a pool.

Last edited:
I have the paramount cleaning system in my pool and this is how I close. I remove the paramount module and store inside for winter, then use a cyclone to blow air thru all of the ports. You will see air coming out of the floor jets just like if you are blowing out the main drain. Once the floor jets are blowing out air you have airlocked them. I do not have the schrader blow thru plugs, I then pour pool antifreeze down each of the ports and place the cover back on. This is how the pool company that closed my pool for the last three years has done it. If you don't have a cyclone a powerful shop vac may also work.

I have the paramount cleaning system in my pool and this is how I close. I remove the paramount module and store inside for winter, then use a cyclone to blow air thru all of the ports. You will see air coming out of the floor jets just like if you are blowing out the main drain. Once the floor jets are blowing out air you have airlocked them. I do not have the schrader blow thru plugs, I then pour pool antifreeze down each of the ports and place the cover back on. This is how the pool company that closed my pool for the last three years has done it. If you don't have a cyclone a powerful shop vac may also work.
How much anti-freeze for each port?
Do you plug the ports with regular plugs after adding antifreeze?
Thanks!

I have 10 ports and use two gallons of antifreeze pool is seven feet at the deep end. Just add the antifreeze and you will see it fill up the pipe and then add to the next one until they are all filled. No I don't use any plugs just have the antifreeze filled and put the paramount cover back on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your cover says Anthony Pools, not Paramount. It is a similar but different system. That is why your pipes are different then what we have been describing.

Your cover says Anthony Pools, not Paramount. It is a similar but different system. That is why your pipes are different then what we have been describing.
Thanks. You know, I didn't even notice that. The reason I kept saying Paramount is because I have a Paramount manual/brochure (passed down to me with all the other manuals by prior owner) and it's for, like you said, a very similar but I guess not identical, system.

Also, for completeness here are pics of my module which also says paramount on it. :unsure:

5c8339ccc18fb19c2461c50cfc60d394.jpg
52ddc1b9cc90a9388dea4f565888368d.jpg
73844d9516032b42355fb4071cf289ba.jpg

So now that we know that apparently I also can't read :rolleyes: how does this, if at all, change my closing process?

Ok, so here's an update. The guys came to close the pool. He didn't have anything to blow the InFloor System ports out--he only had a compressor and although he had one blow-thru plug it was a bigger 2" one, and he didn't have shop vac or anything else that would have blown those InFloor port pipes out. Anyways, we ended up rescheduling the closing, and in the meantime I'm going to order the blow-thru plugs.

By all indication, it looks like I need #8 blow-thru plugs. Any recommendations on where to order them? I've got about a week before the rescheduled closing.
EDIT: Nvm, got some ordered.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.