A few issues after pool remodel

Jun 11, 2014
Philly, PA
Last year I had my pool replastered right before closing season. A few things I noticed after the pool was filled and operating was two of the returns seem to have concrete spread over part of the return, which caused me to have to use a smaller plug. 2. The main drain cover was replaced and now I seem to be losing water out of the pool. I told the guy doing the replaster that the main drain was closed by the previous owner and that I thought it was a leak somewhere in the line.

Opening the pool this season I elected not to open the plug in the skimmer for the main drain because I didn't want to have to fill the pool every 3-4 because of the leak. However, I'm concerned that by not having the main drain open that I'm not getting the bottom of the pool clean. How much does a leak in a main drain normally cost and would i have to get the pool drained in order to fix it?

I would leave the main drain abandoned. They don't really do much for circulation and the only real advantage is being able to easily drain below the skimmers for closing. Regular brushing, vacuuming and use of robot/cleaner is much more effective that relying on the main drain to do anything. If you can and have enough returns, aim one slightly down toward the deep end to help circulation.

I would leave the main drain abandoned. They don't really do much for circulation and the only real advantage is being able to easily drain below the skimmers for closing. Regular brushing, vacuuming and use of robot/cleaner is much more effective that relying on the main drain to do anything. If you can and have enough returns, aim one slightly down toward the deep end to help circulation.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep the main drain plugged. I guess my concern now is the return lines. Mostly every other pool I see threads of some sort on the return lines but my pool doesn't have that. I have three returns and they all look just like holes in the concrete I barely see of the white part that would normally have the threads on it. Is there anyway I can convert my lines to ones with threaded lines on it so I could put a directional outlet on it and better plug up for the winter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.