New build, 27ft round above-ground in Canada

Ah, yes, we have a pile of valves in the garage to be installed right where the water runs in and out from the pool, to help with winterizing and also to shut off in case of emergency, or repair, or what have you. We bought WAY too many fittings....after being at Home Depot 3 times over the course of the same day, and never ever wanting to return again (well, except to make returns ;) ) we filled half a cart with fittings!!

Pics from when the pool was delivered. We have a 400ft driveway with a sharp 90 degree turn at the end, near the street. The semi-truck that brought the pool could not get past the turn, so he delivered our pallet of pool to the street. I just wanted it off that truck, so I didn't really care where he put it!

3ou09Vc.jpg

So, now begins the task of hauling the pool from the street to the house! Tractor comes in handy, once again :)

xCKoQnk.jpg

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! Just, grr. We have been working to set the pool up since 3pm. Super hot day, laid the liner out right away and got to work installing the wall into the track. Easy peasy. Then we climb in and get to work taping together the polystyrene for the bottom. This takes FOREVER. The sun is setting, it's chilling off so much that I need a sweater. Finally we get the foam cove stuck on, all the seams for the styrene are triple taped, etc. It's now 10:30 at night. We can quit now, but it's going to rain and thunderstorm for the next 4 days and I am worried without any water in the pool, the walls will buckle. So we drag that liner in, in the pitch black, and set to work. It's a J-Bead liner, and our pool has a stabilizer track on the top (looks kind of like the bottom rails, but round and ... for the top) that apparently helps to keep the walls up. You need to snap it off 2 sections at a time, put the liner up, then snap the sections back on, and continue. Well, the stupid top part is all joined together so we go to take off the second section and it ALL comes off. The walls are wobbling and buckling like crazy. Finally, after so much effort, we get the liner on 75% of the pool. That's it. She won't go any further. I'm tugging and pulling any extra slack I can get, the walls cave in on two sides (now we have a pretty dent, yayyyyyy), and so we end up just ripping the whole bloody liner down. It's 11:30 pm now. My pool is empty, and I am so worried about it falling over in the wind. This is awful, just awful.

I assume now that it was just too friggen cold to even have attempted playing with that liner? In the sun, does the liner actually stretch to fit the pool? Is there some magic I am missing?

sun you were missing the heat of the sun :( It really does make a difference in getting the liner to have some give so you can get it where it needs to go.

I am hoping that the morning will have sun for you.

My installer put big garbage bags full of water all along the wall to help hold the it there as it filled up. Once they started floating he just untaped them and let the water out. Of course this was after he got the liner up

I wish I was there to help.

Kim

In case anyone is curious at all....pools come down a lot faster than they go up. 8 hours yesterday to go up, 30 minutes in the middle of the night to come down. We woke up to howling winds, to see a section had completely collapsed. Hubby ran out to hold it up and start anchoring it somehow, but the metal started popping from the bottom rails and folding like a tin can. So, we made the choice to tear it all down. Getting those bolts out of the seam while listening to the crunch of $2000 sheet metal made it seem like it was taking forever. Then hubby and I worked to slowly roll it up.....and just as that was done, the $350 polystyrene that took most of the day yesterday to tape together, flew up like a sail. We finally have it secured with rocks now, but much of it is broken. As is our spirits.

- - - Updated - - -

Bah, Kim, if only we had been able to get the liner up!!!! In hindsight, I wonder if our time would have been better spent last night taking a heat gun to it to get it the rest of the way around. It was so tight, I am not sure it would have made it....and we didn't want to waste a $200 liner!! Instead, our poor pool structure is bent and creased. How out of shape can it get before it's no longer usable?? I'm going to search around on TFP as I have a sad feeling this has all happened before....

:-x poor things!

This has been one of the hardest above ground builds I have ever seen!

How does the weather look right now? Are you going to try again or wait until you know it will be sunny with little wind?

Your sides will be okay with the lumps and bumps. Just the nature of the shape and the supports and caps and water in the liner will make it all work even with some boo-boos. (I know they seem a lot worse than boo-boos but once you are done this is all they will be.)

HUGS!

Kim

We were so fired up on anger and adrenaline this morning, as soon as we finally stopped and it was all cleaned up, I had a good cry. We really didn't know if it was salvageable this morning while we were pulling it all down, so every gust of wind was like a 'ha-ha' from Mother Nature and some extra salt on the wounds!! I think you are right, Kim, the wall looks like it's still in tact, just a few creases here and there so it's certainly not as spanky fresh as it was yesterday!! I'm a little worried about the top stabilizers....they aren't the official top rails, just a little metal rounded piece that runs all the way around to help hold things together. The walls were bowing and bending so much, it looks like a few of these stabilizer rails bent (not out of shape, but the track flanges out a bit now). I'm wondering if they will still form a tight enough fit to hold my j-bead liner when the water hits, or should I used the beaded track instead?

Weather today is awful. Raining and 50 degrees, compared to the hot sun and 90 we had yesterday! It looks the same again tomorrow, getting better on Sat, and a near 100 on Sunday so we're going to hustle home from camping Sunday morning and just use the whole day to get this up. Now that I know how much liners dislike the cold ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohhhh interesting!! I wonder if it would work with this stabilizer rod....they go on and on about how they are the only pool manufacturer that uses it, so of course I can find very little info online. And also I'm finding it to be more of a pain than anything (and clearly it didn't stabilize very well, hahahahah)

It's made by Atlantic, I can't find an actual brochure on their page (our pool is called the Nature, but sold through Pool Supply Canada so it might go by a different name). Anyway, this brochure is for a diff pool but has the same generic text about these 'omega stabilizers'. Basically, it looks exactly like the plastic coping they sent us, but it's metal. It snaps on in I'm guessing 2 foot sections, and then a little metal cap piece snaps over top of the two ends to tie it together. http://www.atlanticpoolproducts.com/pdfs/brochures/ap06295_vantagerenaissance_atlantic_lores.pdf

Ok, so even though I am now back at square one, I thought I'd share my first build pics. Let's call it a practice build, a rehearsal for the real deal hahaha.

Here is my husband, rolling out the wall! The end is taped to the ladder to act as a third person. We were so filled with hope and excitement at this point!

63zMZsl.jpg

Wall is up! I followed and clipped in the omega stabilizers, on top. They did help at this point.

iOp3Xeh.jpg

Here is the mini prototype I made last week, to map out how I would fit 18 sheets of 4x8 polystyrene on the floor, without having to buy a 19th....they were expensive!! I think our total bill for the 18 sheets of 1inch was $350.

URocbVm.jpg

And here we are, triple taping our seams and fitting them all just right. It was a thing of beauty.

OA7BlDs.jpg

Poly is almost down, and it's getting LATE! How did that take so many hours!? It's about 10pm now, and the sun is setting FAST. It is cooling off, I went in to get a sweater. Not a lot of hope for our poor, chilly liner. At this point, we can either keep going and just cross our fingers that the liner, which has now sat out for 7 hours in the sun while we worked, will have retained enough heat to stretch out. Or, the alternative options are we stop now and leave the walls up with nothing to hold them and pray for no wind, or take it all down. We'd been working since 3pm (it was now 10pm) and we kind of thought we could still pull it off.

T6V9MUD.jpg

That liner made it 75% of the way around, and then just wouldn't budge. I climbed underneath it and pulled from every corner, which bought us a few inches, but not enough. To make matters worse, to install the j-bead liner, now you need to take OFF those omega stabilizers two at a time. So, you snap two off, but you need to slide them out from the joiner caps. At the second section, the entire rim just whipped off (the caps were on so tight, probably because the temp dropped so fast?!) This caused the pool to start caving in, so we were running around like mad trying to support it and get these rails back on. Eventually we just left them off and dealt with the bowing. The liner being so tight was NOT helping. Once we realized there was no way that liner was going up, it was 11:30pm. We thought we'd take the chance of leaving the wall up as-is, folded the liner into the middle, and went to bed, disheartened. In the wee hours of the morning, 4:30/5am, we woke up to the sound of wind (as mentioned in my previous post....). Looked outside, the walls were buckling everywhere, with obvious creases from our bedroom window. We ran as fast as we could, and tried just holding them up while thinking about how we could anchor them to buy us a few hours. While holding the tops of the wall, the bottoms started jumping out of the bottom rail. This wall wanted down, and we weren't stopping it. So, we let it go, and rushed to find our ratchet to take the 30-some bolts off. All the while, the sound of crunching metal ringing in our ears. Finally, the last bolt snapped out, and my husband began to coil the wall while I walked ahead, pulling the stabilizer bars off. The wind and rain were coming at us, and I'm sure we woke every neighbour while we shouted profanities at the sky! Finally we got the steel rolled up, and the 27ft circle of polystyrene came hurtling over us like a tent. Slowly we pushed it back down against the wind, cracking several pieces in the process. Here's what she looks like now....

TzJxvEx.jpg

First off Hubba, Hubba to your hubby! That first pics is nice to look at (good thing I am happily married and so far away LOL)

The use of the ladder-so SMART!!!!! Looks like it worked great!

The bottom looks great! I bet/hope you can just put more tape on where it cracked!

The after :shock: let me cry for you!

Kim

Hahahahahah re: hubby! He does alright ;) I do think we can just tape up the bottom, it snaps in really perfect lines (yay!) so I think another few triple-tapes and we're golden. I just need to remeasure the track, as I definitely pulled it out of round while we were in panic mode! I think it will be a much faster install the second time :mad: There is not enough coffee for today.

Looks like tomorrow will be Rebuild Day! The sun will be shining, the wind will be low....I'm really nervous, but it has to come together...right?! Right. We were going to do the install on Tuesday but were expecting winds on Wednesday and I know we can't fill it very fast, so we decided not to get too anxious and just wait the few extra days. I'm glad we did, we had wicked winds and funnel clouds all around our area, with a tornado touch-down close by!

Nice work. Believe me, you'll be glad you took the time to make it level. Most important part of the whole process.
Wow, I posted this reply after I got to the end of the first page not realizing there was another page. So sorry for your ordeal. But in the end, you will appreciate your pool even more when it's finished and you're floating in there relaxing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.