Intex Easy Set 15' x 42" Wall Bulging

Jun 21, 2015
Portugal
Hello everyone!

My name is Tiago, I am from Portugal and this is my first post on this forum. I've been visiting this forum since last year, when I got a pool and followed a lot of advice given here. This is an amazing community!

Today I make my first post because I have found a problem that I don't know how to solve and that, as far as I can see at the moment, it kinda goes against the laws of logic.

I have an Intex Easy Set 15' by 42". My garden is not leveled so we needed to find a way to do it. Both years we choose to put some wood EUR Palletes with the holes covered and top the rest with sand (well compacted). Then, a plastic sheet and the pool was installed on top of everything.
Last year everything went great: the ground was more or less leveled (I think we got a little over the 2.54cm limit, maybe with 3cm but everything was fine.

This year I decided we could do even better. And... I don't know what to conclude. I'll show you some photos and explain everything:

Following last years procedure but improving on the compacting of the sand, this year we left the sand a little bit higher than the rest of the ground. Oh, I should mention that about a quarter of the pool is on top of a cement ground and the other 3/4 is on grass. This would keep everything leveled relative to the cement ground (the high point) because the sand would compact a little bit more with the pool on top of it.

The result, in terms of the ground, is acceptable: the sand is still a little bit higher but nothing to worry about... I think. This means the cement is a little bit lower.

But the problem is that the pool is bulging in a pretty big part of the wall.

Pool - Album on Imgur

In the album in the last link you can see several things:

In the first photo, the part of the wall with less of a bulge, the top of the chair is about 8cm away from the top ring. Then, in other photos keeps getting away to a maximum of around 30cm.

There are several things that I think I should mention:
1- The water is higher in the part where the pool is lower (cement)
2- In the part where the pool is lower (cement), the wall has the smaller bulge (I think this goes against logic... More weight against a wall should make it bulge more, no?)
3- In the measurements I made to see how high the water is, the difference is less than an inch. It is around 2cm (3/4", I think). I am measuring this by putting a straight piece of wood in the water until it touches the ground and measure from the ground to the part where the water mark stops. I do this several times around the pool and the measurement only varies by what I said).
4- In the part where the pool is higher, the water is lower and the wall has a bigger bulge.

Now, in my mind, the wall should have a bigger bulge in the part where the water is higher and this is not what is happening.

What am I doing wrong? How can I correct this? Am I measuring water level correctly?

Thank you all very, very much!
Tiago

When you took the pool down, were the sides in the same place as they were the previous time? We had an easy set and tried putting it on slightly unlevel ground and it stretched the one side. When pool was put up the next year, it got put up the opposite way, and we had an oval, ha ha.

When you took the pool down, were the sides in the same place as they were the previous time? We had an easy set and tried putting it on slightly unlevel ground and it stretched the one side. When pool was put up the next year, it got put up the opposite way, and we had an oval, ha ha.

Hi!
Last year the pool was in the same place and orientation as it is this year. I also remember that last year one of the sites had a slighly bigger "belly" but nothing like this...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.