No Chlorine in pool

I had to go away for a couple of days. I had a relative continue to add bleach to the pool daily. I was adding an average of 1 jug of 121 oz. 8.5% Clorox to the pool, so I had that person continue to add daily, but all at once instead. That was for 3 days. When I returned, the algae was almost gone and I just took my readings, no chlorine added today. These are my stats:

FC 4.0 ppm 25 ml R-871 20 drops
CC <0.2 ppm very faint trace of CC
pH 7.7
TA 80 ppm
CH 230 ppm
CYA <30 ppm (probably 25 ppm ~ now I'll raise it bit by bit. I've got to get comfortable with the stuff)
Temp 84

OK, thanks to all of you who helped me through the process. I'm confident that I've accomplished all three criteria for slamming and I've allowed the chlorine level to drop down to 6 ppm. I still test the water each night. First to add bleach to bring the level up to 6 ppm, and then again, an hour later to get the actual reading. Then I still test the water in the morning before work and have found the ppm stays relatively constant overnight and the combined chlorine levels are almost non existent. My water is crystal clear. The algae is gone along the walls of the pool.

1.) Water is crystal clear
2.) CC level is almost non existent
3.) FC level held constant overnight at 12 ppm on final night of slam.

Thanks to:

Yippee Skippy, DaninFla, lefty51, jblizzle, zea3, robertmee, pooldv, Task, Texas Splash, Defqufan, Beens, pabeader, pogueld, and KimKats for looking over my shoulder while going through this process. It was very helpful to report every step I took and have someone catch any mistakes I made along the way. Thank you, I appreciate it! If you are going through the slam process make sure you post all your steps with pictures if possible so you are not walking through it alone.

A couple of friends of mine have pools and told me that when they converted from a cartridge filter to a D.E. filter, their algae problem was solved. So I was thinking that perhaps I should do the same. But after doing this process I realize that my cartridge filter is adequate and I don't need to spend the money on another type of filter. My pool has been clear for days now and I am only adding about one and a half quarts of bleach to the pool at night every night. It's costing me about $10.00 per week to keep the pool clean (that's just off the top of my head), but it works out to about 45 oz. of 8.5% liquid bleach every day. I can live with that!

We are so proud of you!! Isn't it just an awesome feeling to look out at your sparkly pool and know it's sparkly because of you!

So glad to hear you are able to keep your pool sparkly with ease!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.