Need a new pump

Jun 22, 2015
Mount Plesant, SC
My 3 or 4 year old Summer Escapes F1000C is dieing. It cuts off after a certain amount of time. I have to turn it back on at the gfci electrical plug. As those run $130 I though maybe something else would work better for the money. I found the Intex 1500 Filter Pump for $64 and the Intex 1200 Sand Filter for $111. Is the sand filter worth it?. The timer on the Sand Filter would be nice as I usually just left the old pump running. Is the sands biggest advantage is that you don't have to clean or buy new filters? Are there any other pumps that you would recommend? What is the fomular for the size of bump you need as I may upgrade to a slightly larger pool next summer?

Normally when a GFCI goes bad it will trip immediately. But yes, they can go bad.

Is it the GFCI that is tripping or the breaker?

Doing some reading on new pumps and it looks like you need to turn the pool over every 8 hours. That would mean even a 1000 gph would handle a 8000 gallon pool. Does that sound right or am I missing something? Looks like cartridge filters are better than sand if you don't mind cleaning them. Does that include the paper filter like the intex and summer escape pools use, or are the articles talking about much nicer cartridge filters? Also no matter if I go with an intex filter pump or sand pump, could I run the inline filter that goes in the skimmer on the side of the summer escapes pools, or would that be to much? Still trying to find a way to test the CFGI though before I by a new pump.

No, does not include the Intex cartridge filter. Owners report much better results with the Intex sand vs cartridge. Pool turnover is an outdated concept and does not appy to residential pools.

Thanks. Sand is sounding better. So for pumps would a smaller and thus more energy efficient pump make more sense? Maybe just turn it on enough to distribute the chlorine or turn 1/3 or 1/2 the water over per day. The added run time for a smaller pump would seem to increase the skimming ability, but I could be wrong? More often skimming means less chance for it to sink and less I have to vacuum out.

I am a fan of the more skimming with low speed pump. I don't know if Intex offers a 2 speed pump set up but if they do then get it and run it on low and save lots of electricity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Low speed on an Intex pump would be way to low. 1500 GPH = 25 GPM and that is the run out flow rate so typical flow rate is lower than that. Most two speed pumps on low speed are higher than that.

For that type of pump, I would not be concerned with low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.