Pentair EasyTouch8 turning heater on and off too often

Oct 28, 2014
San Jose, CA
I noticed something today while I was watching the controller. It was cycling the heater almost constantly, on the order of 20 seconds of so.

In more detail: I was running the spa, set at 98°, and the temperature (as measured by the EasyTouch8 sensor) was jumping back and forth between 98° and 97°. Multiple times per minute. While the temperature cannot jump a whole degree up and down every few seconds, if the temperature is in the middle between those two numbers, the sensor might read one or the other randomly. So this is fine so far. The problem is that the controller was commanding the heater on every time the temperature was measured as 97° and then off a few seconds later, when a reading of 98° popped up. I'd expect the EasyTouch8 controller to have some hysteresis, and for example turn on the heater when the water drops to 97° but then don't turn it off until it reaches 99°. Or if not that, then just some time delay, so that the heater does not cycle more often than once in every few minutes.

My questions:
- Is my panel faulty? Or is this how these panels work? (Pretty crappy control design if so...)
- Is this going to hurt my heater? It's a gas heater with an electric igniter. Is that designed for frequent ignition cycles? And the frequent heat/cool cycles of the burner/etc., is that a problem if I leave thing as is?

For today, I just disabled the "remote control" on the heater, and just set the temp on the heater directly, but it's way less convenient to use the system like this.

Thanks,
Balint

Hello Balint! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about your heater. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. The server issue has disrupted everything a bit. This reply should help get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Anyone has any input on my question above? Am I asking in the correct subforum? Thanks in advance.

(Since Texas Splash mentioned some server problems, I decided to take the liberty and bump this thread.)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No the system should heat the water almost one degree past your set point and then when it falls below it kicks back on. Were the valves in the correct position? If not an issue with the controller, almost sounds like the spa was still getting cooler water input in it. Was your spillway off? If you have one.

Thank you! Yes, I'm positive the valves were set correctly. The panel did not, by any means, use any hysteresis. I'll do a more thorough test next time, actually measuring things and making notes. I'll also try a firmware upgrade. Does anyone know what are the fixes between my firmware and Pentair's current firmware? I'm at 2.100 UOC and 2.140 UIC. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I'm wondering if you solved this issue last year. I have the same issue - my Pentair EasyTouch8 will turn on my heater for 15 - 30 seconds, then turn it back off, then back on a minute or so later, then back off, etc. It appears there is just no hysteresis or timer delays at all, like you stated. I'm very concerned, as my setup is a high efficiency boiler (that also heats my house) connected via a heat exchanger. It's about a $6000 setup so I hate for all this cycling to possibly shorten its life. Also this quick cycling doesn't even give the boiler a chance to fire up, so it's pointless. The system should be on for at least 20 minutes at a time for any real heating to occur. Thanks!

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I'm wondering if you solved this issue last year. I have the same issue - my Pentair EasyTouch8 will turn on my heater for 15 - 30 seconds, then turn it back off, then back on a minute or so later, then back off, etc. It appears there is just no hysteresis or timer delays at all, like you stated. I'm very concerned, as my setup is a high efficiency boiler (that also heats my house) connected via a heat exchanger. It's about a $6000 setup so I hate for all this cycling to possibly shorten its life. Also this quick cycling doesn't even give the boiler a chance to fire up, so it's pointless. The system should be on for at least 20 minutes at a time for any real heating to occur. Thanks!
patterrr: Sorry, I have not been around on this forum for a while, so I did not see your post. The answer is no, I did not find a solution (but did not look much further that my post above). I hope a firmware upgrade might help, so I called a few pool service companies, asked them if they could do a firmware upgrade for me, but they had no idea what I'm talking about. So I gave up on using the EasyTouch to control my heater, and now I rely on the heater's own thermostat. But this means, I have to walk down to the pool house to fire up the heater. Annoying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.