LAST DITCH EFFORT....and I don't know what to do now

Thanks for the link. I will read that over at 'work' today. hehe.......yesterday I was in golf mode, so I didnt do a single thing to the pool besides hang a sock full of stabilizer, backwash and add DE. Didn't add a single ounce of bleach. We had a day mixed of sun, clouds, and rain.

Here's what I found this morning....you can see the sand I'm speaking of in the picture too now....or could it be DE?

Hummmmm You know what? I have no idea what DE would look like sitting on the bottom of the pool. You KNOW I am going to have to put some in my pool just to see what happens. LOL I will have my vacuum ready to get it back out.

Kim

Ok, I busted rear last night after work. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong lateral assembly, but got lucky once I got my current one out. The crack I fixed last year is still doing just fine, and none of the laterals were damaged, so I took the assembly apart and cleaned all of the sand out of the orifices, and then reassembled. I had a fleet of 5 gallon buckets to put all 250 lb. of my sand in. As I was taking the sand out and got near the bottom and out towards the walls, the sand felt hard and didn't scoop as easily. So Im pretty positive that the sand in those areas never got agitated and did nothing in terms of filtering my water. To further prove this point valid, two or three scoops of sand from the very bottom had green algae in them. Also rather than deep clean the sand in the filter, I did each 5 gallon bucket individually. So I guess you can say I 'super cleaned' my sand, lol. Once I got everything back together, and verified I had no leaks, I called it a night.

This morning I vacuumed all of the white sediment to waste, placed the light back in the socket, and then cleaned and installed the ladder. We gotta have the clearest water on the block....or so I like to think so. Lots of $$, bleach, time, and swearing, and we can finally SWIM!

Levels are:
pH: 7.4
fc: 6
cc: 0
CH: 400
CYA: 35ish (the dot disappeared before reaching 30, and after 40. Just did the sock broadcast Thursday morning, so we will retest tuesday or wednesday. Im surprised it even registered considering the rain we had, and all the vacuuming to waste we did. I knew there was a chance that all the stabilizer I just added would amount to nothing, but it is!!)

Oh, and you better believe I enjoyed the 10 minutes in the pool while reinstalling the light! :)

Okay here is my DE test............

I took a big handful of DE into my pool. I had the pump on the first time. I lowered my hand into the water. It floated out of my hand and way in a cloud. I tried to put my hand into the cloud to see if I could feel it. Nothing. It is such a fine powder that it just mixed right in with the water without any evidence of ever being there.

I did it again with my pump off for 30 mins. so there was little to no circulation of the water. The same thing. I tried to hold the powder in my hand and it just floated out and turned to nothing.

SO I think what you are seeing is sand OR dead algae dirt.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.