0 0%
  • OFF Peak

4 33.33%
  • Doesn't Matter

8 66.67%

Thread: On Peak or Off Peak

1. Back To Top    #1

On Peak or Off Peak

I did a cost comparison between running my pump during on peak & off peak hours. The results are quite amazing. In my case I will save approx $42.00 a month running the pump off peak during the summer and $10.00 a month running the pump off peak during the winter. This averages to approx $26.00 per month or a savings of $312.00 per year. So my question is how many of you run your pumps, on peak or off peak?
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: On Peak or Off Peak

I have the timer set to run at off-peak hours. Of course, I don't turn the Freeze Guard off. But I'd rather pay a little more $ than run the risk of freezing pipes.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

I now have more accurate figures,
    Average savings per month - $23.78
    Total savings per year 65%
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

4. Back To Top    #4

my electric supplier doesn't offer different rates for off-peak hours. same rate all the time...
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

5. Back To Top    #5

Same here. costs the same regardless.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a tough call. I have time of day metering, and I also have a 10KW solar array on my roof that generates about 1200 KWH per month. You would think the answer would be obvious as there is about a 10 cent per kwh difference between peak and off peak pricing. But what complicates it is that I have a heatpump and a small solar water heating unit. Obviously the solar will only work during peak hours. The heat pump can work anytime, but it is much more efficient when it is nice and warm out versus during the cool nights.

My solution was to invest in a Pentair Intelliflow pump. What I do now is run the pump 24/7 at a very low speed which is enough to get heat from the solar during the day yet only draws about 200 watts of power.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.