Milky White Water after Adding Washing Soda

Well part of the mystery is solved if the current readings are accurate. I suspect that either the first pH readings indicating a pH of 6.8 were wrong or that you already had some carbon dioxide outgassing raise the pH. At any rate your saturation index is now near zero so the cloudiness should slowly dissipate, but your pH may continue to rise and if that happens the cloudiness may remain.

So what you can do (after raising FC which is more important right now) is to lower the pH with acid, probably to around 7.2 by adding 12 cups of Muriatic Acid slowly over a return flow with the pump running and then brushing the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you add the chemical. That should clear up the cloudiness. Then, over time, you'll probably need to add acid to keep the pH from climbing too much. You can just see how it goes and if the rate of pH rise and acid addition is too much, then you can consider lowering the TA following the procedure in the Pool School, but it's not necessary unless you find the rate of pH rise to be too fast.

Well part of the mystery is solved if the current readings are accurate. I suspect that either the first pH readings indicating a pH of 6.8 were wrong or that you already had some carbon dioxide outgassing raise the pH. At any rate your saturation index is now near zero so the cloudiness should slowly dissipate, but your pH may continue to rise and if that happens the cloudiness may remain.

So what you can do (after raising FC which is more important right now) is to lower the pH with acid, probably to around 7.2 by adding 12 cups of Muriatic Acid slowly over a return flow with the pump running and then brushing the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you add the chemical. That should clear up the cloudiness. Then, over time, you'll probably need to add acid to keep the pH from climbing too much. You can just see how it goes and if the rate of pH rise and acid addition is too much, then you can consider lowering the TA following the procedure in the Pool School, but it's not necessary unless you find the rate of pH rise to be too fast.

What does this mean? "or that you already had some carbon dioxide outgassing raise the pH." I'm sorry, I'm so not a science person. I know that sounds lame, but hey, we all have our strengths, right? ;-)

I've added 2 jugs of bleach tonight, so I'll see where I am in the morning.

You know the hardest part of all of this? My husband keeps making fun of me for "listening to a bunch of people on the internet." lol

When the TA is higher and/or the pH lower carbon dioxide leaves the pool water. Basically, TA is mostly a measure of how over-carbonated the pool water is compared to the air. And yes, that means over-carbonated just like a tasty carbonated beverage, just not enough that you see bubbles. The reason pools are over-carbonated is to have enough calcium carbonate in the water to protect plaster surfaces since they are partly composed of calcium carbonate. Since you have a vinyl liner, you don't need either the CH nor the TA to be that high.

So I was just speculating that with the higher TA and lower pH that maybe the pH was already on its way up due to the outgassing. Don't worry about it since the past at this point doesn't matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.