Hi from N Alabama

Thanks Swoopman and Kim. Thanks for clarifying that cartridge filters don't get backwashed. That explains why there is no multiport valve. And, that does indeed appear to be our filter, with the exception of the pressure gauge. The drawings show it lying flat, ours stands up. We do have spare cartridges; the previous owners had one installed and a spare in the pool shed. Both are dirty. We also bought a new one, to put in after the SLAM. We'll be cleaning the spare cartridge to replace the one currently in the filter. I think we're going to soak it in Cascade dishwasher detergent, since we don't know how dirty it is nor how well it was previously cleaned. Thanks Kim, for the detailed directions on changing out the cartridge. I'll give the beer to Mr. Gearhead and grab some vodka for myself. ;)

Terry

A couple of questions on supplies. It seems like the consensus here is that the cheapest form of chlorine is household bleach. The pool came with some supplies. It looks like the previous owner had been "pool-stored"... maybe. The pool and/or pool shed has

- Pool Frog, which I know is an expensive way to apply chlorine (or anything else)
- A large container of In The Swim 3" pucks.
- A large container of In The Swim "shockwave".
- Several packs of In The Swim "Chlorine Free Shock".

This is the stuff that makes me think that the previous owners had been "pool-stored". But they don't have a chlorinator other than the Pool Frog, which doesn't use the pucks. And from the CYA readings, they didn't use the pucks much... unless the CYA dropped significantly over the off-season.

We don't plan on continuing with pool store supplies, but I think it makes sense to use up what we have if it's useful. Should we/could we use this stuff for SLAM'ing out pool?

Here is a link (hopefully) to some photos of our supplies.

Thanks for the info.

Re: filter cleaning.... We have two used filters, and one new one. The new one is to be used after SLAM'ing. The used filter that is not being used is, of course, completely dry. Does it need to soak in anything before we start cleaning? Or can we start on a dry filter?

Here is the dry used filter. Do we just start hosing it down?

Yup, just start hosing it down. That reminds me I need to clean the one in my spa.....

Have you added CYA or started the SLAM?

That is going ot be a pretty pool when you are done.

We just finished attempting to do a "chlorine drop" with out new TF-100 kit. This is about 4 hrs after the first SLAM application of chlorine (4 gallons of bleach). According to pool math, this should have brought the FC up to around 14. The test, as I'm sure you all know, works as follows:
- Put one scoop of R-0870 powder in 10 ml of water to be tested, and swirl (we have a speed stir). Solution turned pink, as it should.
- Add one drop at a time of R-0871 until solution turns clear.

This is where we had a problem. After applying about 13 drops, the solution started turning clear, then after a delay (30 seconds or so), it would turn back pink. It continued doing this up to 40 drops, at which point we aborted. This corresponds to an FC of 20, way higher than it should be. What's going on? Did we do this test correctly?

Yup, just start hosing it down. That reminds me I need to clean the one in my spa.....
Thanks.

Have you added CYA or started the SLAM?
I started the SLAM this morning. Wife just put in a sock filled with stabilizer, with about half of what pool math calls for. I REALLY don't want to overshoot on CYA.

That is going ot be a pretty pool when you are done.
We sure hope so. The back yard and pool were big selling points of this house.

This is where we had a problem. After applying about 13 drops, the solution started turning clear, then after a delay (30 seconds or so), it would turn back pink. It continued doing this up to 40 drops, at which point we aborted. This corresponds to an FC of 20, way higher than it should be. What's going on? Did we do this test correctly?
No, once you hit th first clear you are done. If it sits it will almost always turn pink again.

- - - Updated - - -

I started the SLAM this morning. Wife just put in a sock filled with stabilizer, with about half of what pool math calls for. I REALLY don't want to overshoot on CYA.
What did you target for CYA. Youi were less than 20 IIRC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While Mr. Gearhead is in a meeting, I redid the FC and CC tests, without allowing time for the sample to return to pink. Got FC = 4 and CC = 0.5. Will wait on Mr. Gearhead to get out of his meeting and run the math for me. [emoji6]. We are aiming for CYA of 30 based on recommendations of 30-40 for SLAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, now that we have some good chlorine numbers.... Wow! Those levels dropped fast. By my calculations, we should have been around an FC of 14 at about 8:30 am. And now it's 4 at around 4:00 pm. Time to do some more SLAM'ing.

How fast does CYA change? How often should we test that?

CYA can take up to a week to show on the test. Today is Monday so I would test your CYA on say Saturday.

BUT you add your bleach as if it is already in the water. If you shoot for 20 CYA then add bleach to get you just over a FC of 10.

If you are going to be gone for a while you can bump it up to about 15 or so. Don't get too crazy with it though.

Kim

IT'S BLUE! IT'S BLUE! IT'S BLUE!

HUGE improvement overnight. FC still dropped a lot overnight, so we're still not there, but it's starting to look more like a pool now.

Anybody been able to take a look at our supplies of pool store stuff to see if there's anything in there that we can use?

Also, it's still not very clear. I notice a lot of air coming from one of the returns, so I suspect an air leak somewhere. Would this cause a lack of clarity?

BLUE! What are you talking about? A pool is supposed to be blue????????? That is awesome!

Products

-throw away chlorine free shock

-keep tabs as they can be used for weekend get aways and such

-ph up -keep because it can be used if needed

-stabilizer it can be used if needed

-shockwave-not sure what it is. Can you post details

I am proud of your pool and your work on it!

HUGS!

Kim

BLUE! What are you talking about? A pool is supposed to be blue????????? That is awesome! Products -throw away chlorine free shock -keep tabs as they can be used for weekend get aways and such -ph up -keep because it can be used if needed -stabilizer it can be used if needed -shockwave-not sure what it is. Can you post details I am proud of your pool and your work on it! HUGS! Kim
Thanks, kimkats. I would post pictures, but the site is still too slow. I'll get the info on shockwave. Billy

Is the photo posting feature broken? I can't seem to post photos any more.

The pool has steadily gotten better every day. It's now pretty clear. The FC still drops significantly through the day, but not too bad overnight. I'm guessing low CYA (started at zero). I'm applying some stabilizer, but it doesn't come up fast.

Re: Shockwave... since I can't post photos, here's the contents:
Calcium Hypochlorite...........73%
Other Ingredients...............27%
Total...............................100%
Minimum Available Chlorine...70%

Should I use this? Looks like a good source of FC, with some stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support