has anyone used "POOLSKIM"?

With the Fall/Winter on its way I will be spending allot of time cleaning leaves out of a pool that is to cold to swim in.

So, that being said the thought of adding another skimmer (poolskim) sounded good to me. In my research (poolforum) I heard mention of the Pool Devil.

Has any one here used one of these? The poolskim looks like an added skimmer but this seems to more actively circulate the water and skim off debris.

This may add to the effectiveness of my current skimmer basket and help with the extra debris load. The price is only $30.00.

Any feed back would be great.

Based on a early recommendation on this thread I bought the Pool Devil Pro. IMHO it was a complete waste of money. It is poorly designed and made of cheap quality components. It was ineffective as almost everything bypassed the bag since the inlet was so small compared to the wash area of the water jet. I tried it in three different pools with the same disappointing results.

not pleased with skimmer sock

Rangeball said:
Are you using a skimmer sock over your skimmer?

They work really well, grab the pollen before it hit's your filter and are cheap :)

I have tried skimmer socks. The pollen, bugs and other debris tend to collect in the sock which I guess is its intended purpose, but in doing so it causes what seems to be an audible strain on my pump in no time at all. I am not thrilled with the skimmer sock and am considering the Poolskim.

However, I am concerned about the havoc that my 7, 6, and 4 year old may cause to the Poolskim and the wall of my above ground pool if it is left connected. Does anyone know if it is easy to remove and re-install on a daily basis, or should I take my chances with the kids?

Take a look at my writeup about the PoolSkim at the link in my signature.

Removing the PoolSkim from the return fitting is pretty easy. You just unscrew it. Putting it back on, however, is best done while you're in the pool so you can get the threads matched up. I find that difficult to do from the deck.

We don't have small children but we do have three large dogs who swim every day. Other than the one time when one of the dogs decided the floating hat was a retrievable Frisbee, we've had no trouble and leave the PoolSkim connected at all times.

My pump runs at night and the solar cover is on the pool. I've cut a curve into the solar cover around the PoolSkim so that the hat can move freely inside the pot and do its skimming thing. It catches far FAR more debris than what gets washed into the skimmer basket, which has a sock in it. I understand your concern about pump strain once the sock gets full of tree blossoms and whatnot. Once you have a PoolSkim functioning this is no longer an issue.

IMO, you neededn't worry about the kids damaging the PoolSkim. Just teach them as we had to teach the dogs: don't play with this.

AnnaK

another pool skim question

AnnaK said:
Take a look at my writeup about the PoolSkim at the link in my signature.
AnnaK

I did. Thanks. It was much more informative than the official web site. However now I have another question. My pool water level varies quite a bit during the course of the summer. Will this effect the performance of the poolskim?

I agree with Titanium. The floating hat adjusts to variances in water level but you do have to be sure to have enough water in the pool so the hat can float, i.e., bob up and down inside its pot.

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    112 KB · Views: 49
Titanium said:
diaplant,

My pool water level varies quite a bit during the course of the summer.

What is quite a bit? My pool can vary up to 2-3 inches and the PoolSkim can easily handle this. The PoolSkim could probably handle 3-5 inches of water level variation with no problem.

Titanium

Thanks for your response. My pool also varies about 2-3 inches. Definitely not more than 4" or the water would not make it into the pump.

I guess from reading the next post that installation should be at my lowest water level so that the hat still floats and not at my "average water level". I am going to order this asap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you install it at the lowest level and then get additional water in the pool there could be a chance of the hat floating too high and popping out. My average water level has created a light grey line on the skimmer weir. Sometimes I have an inch or so more, sometimes less. I installed the PoolSkim to match that line.

Poolskim on a splash superpool?

The skimmer is broken on our Splash superpool, and the replacement is $140. It's a suction line skimmer. I've been reading about the pool devil and poolskim skimmers and think they might work better, for less money. When I read about poolskim on the In the Swim website it says it's not for soft sided/portable pools. Is anyone using one on a portable pool (like KD, Splash, etc)?

we just got our poolskim and it seems to be working out good.

we have a 20 x 40 IG with only one skimmer and several trees around....so lots of tree leaves,pollen, etc daily in the pool (not to fun to net skim for 1 hr before swimming) :)

we also have small kids (6 & 3 yrs) and so far they have stayed away from it (my daugher thinks its funny how it sucks up everything) we call it our pool toilet bowl :) its mommy's new pool toy :)

it seems pretty strong (as long as they are not hanging on it or jumping on it) it should be okay.
we are also using our solar cover and just remove the hat/cap...I need to do what Anna said and trim our cover around the poolskim.

and its much much easier to adjust/install while in the pool...I spent over 30 mins hanging over our deck trying to get it screwed into the wall :) and our return line seems pretty low so it was a good stretch to reach it

chris

p.s. and the poolskim customer service seems goood....super fast shipping and email shipping confirmation.

chrisa said:
we are also using our solar cover and just remove the hat/cap...I need to do what Anna said and trim our cover around the poolskim.

If you don't want to cut your cover for some reason, it helps to tether the hat to the base and then it is always close by when you remove the cover. We tethered ours and just let the hat part hang out under the cover when the cover is on.

Re: another pool skim question

Anna- after cutting your solar cover and running the poolskim while the cover is on, does poolskim still catch debris(bugs, etc)? Or does that stuff still gather on the solar cover only to fall in the pool when you lift it off?

Thanks

Anytime a solar cover is on a pool the surface skimming action is somewhat reduced, regardless what skimming mechanism is in use. Nonetheless, PoolSkim does catch dog hair, tree flowers, and bugs with the solar cover on, just not as many.

We get very little debris dropping off the cover into the pool. The cut sections are easily removed without dumping whatever may be on top of them into the water.

I've had a Pool Skim for a couple weeks now. The reason for buying it initially was the huge amount of debris we get in our 20x40 IG. We live in the timber. Our pool is surrounded by black walnut, bur oak, pine and elm trees.......all of which produce a lot of junk during the spring bloom. Our pool has only one skimmer and it was unable to come close to keeping up with the amount of junk on the surface of the pool. I was unable to keep up my manually skimming the pool before a lot of that debris ended up at the bottom of the pool. After installing the PoolSkim and playing with it's position in the pool relative to wind direction, I can clear the pool's surface in 10-15min. Yesterday for example, the PoolSkim cleared the pool's surface in 15min, as I had a cup of coffee, after a night of wind and T-Storms. In that 15 min, I had to empty the bag on the PoolSkim 3 times. It works!! Use it in conjunction with a robot, and you'll cut your pool cleaning work by 95%

DLO,
we also have lots of trees and I just started using our pool skim....which position worked best for your pool skim? I only have two returns and I have it connected to the shallow end near the corner (rectangle pool) the bag is facing out and not towards the corner and seems to be okay....

my only other choice is in the middle of the pool, near the one skimmer we have. I wish we could connect it to the deep end thats where all our tree floaties seem to land :)

Chris

Chris....sorry for the delated response, I was out of town for a day or so.... just got back this afternoon.

My pool is a 20x40 rectangle with one skimmer :cry: (in the middle of one of the long sides and two returns, in opposite corners....one in the deep end one in the shallow. I started by installing the PS in the shallow end. It works great when I have a breeze blowing tward that end. There was a few days that wind carried debris to the deep end and even though I had good clockwise circulation at the surface, The wind kept the junk in the deep end. I moved the PS to the deep end return and the pool was clear in 10 min or so.

You'll have to watch your pool for current movement caused by your returns. Figure out what way it circulates and position the PS on the return that sees the most debris go by it.

I didn't install that flow restricting plate included with the PS, in the opposite return only because you have to glue it in :roll: . I "borrowed" a die from one of my kids board games and put it in the cup of the eyeball in the opposite return. It increased flow significantly to the return the PS was installed on while allowing sufficient flow out of the restricted return to maintain water circulation around the pool. That's the trick..... to provide the return the PS is installed on as much flow as possible while leaving enough flow through the other return to maintain water movement around to pool.

Re:

MeSue said:
If you don't want to cut your cover for some reason, it helps to tether the hat to the base and then it is always close by when you remove the cover. We tethered ours and just let the hat part hang out under the cover when the cover is on.

Is there any reason why can't you leave the hat in the base when you put your solar cover on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.