Fort Worth, TX IG Gunite Build

So far the process has gone smoothly except for a small issue with the spa. We upped the size from a 7' to 8' spa at the last minute so we told the excavator to stake out a 10' circle. Well they ended up digging a 10' spa with 12' exterior. We could have fixed it but I ended up liking the size as it will give the kids more room to play when it's colder out.

Equipment wise I ended up going with the ecostar vs pump for the main and just a single speed for the waterfall with valves at each outlet to adjust the flow. Hope it works out ok. Wad going to do a robot but couldn't decide so just went with the fail safe polaris 280 knowing I could upgrade in the future if needed. Got the 400btu hayward heater and omnilogic to control everything. I feel the budget quickly disappearing!

So gunite is scheduled for Friday and I'll be out of town again which sucks but I want to get this done so we still have some summer left to use it.

So what do you guys think so far? Anything I should be on the look out for pre gunite?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Got some gunite while I was out of town!
19695003436_9c616a2222_k.jpg

19533181480_c68e7c797d_k.jpg

19534577609_601f30e477_k.jpg

19695008406_52a57b864c_k.jpg

19714029562_66f2800f84_k.jpg

How long have folks watered the shell? It's getting into the 100's here in North texas and wondering how many times a day and for how many days you guys would recommend.

To me (and I have no real idea but going on gut) you cannot OVER water but you can UNDER water so........... get a sprinkler or two and set them up to do it often.

You also need to ask your PB as he is the one that going to have to take care of the warranty.

Kim

Happy wife happy life.
Dark Blue in DFW will be warm water.
What is your water cooling plan?
Mine is my waterfall that can drop 2 deg off temp overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's why I want the lighter color pebble! My brother has almost black stonescape and he has these rubber buckets that he fills with about 4 gallons of water and freezes them in the deep freezer and throws then in the pool if they're going to swim in the middle of the day. Helps a little but water is still warm. The waterfall is a good idea

I would not go with the dark blue all over the pool. Not here in Texas. I love water in the range of 74-78 degrees. Of course, we do have some Texans who love their water warm, so they don't have any problems with the dark colors keeping their pools warmer. And, if you can take the bathtub water in the summer, I would think you might get a few more days' swim time at the beginning and end of the swim season due to the warmer water. I can't say from experience.

Would you and your wife consider a compromise? Use the gold pebble throughout the main pool body and the dark blue in the spa - an accent or show piece. Several people on here have talked about doing it. I can't remember if anyone did, but I really liked the idea. It would make sense to do it that way, because you generally want your spa water to be warmer anyway. Something to think about....

Or is it the gold color she objects to? Maybe ya'll could find a lighter color you both like for the main body of the pool, and still do a nice dark blue in the spa?

But don't ask me for color opinions.... I'm notorious for not being able to make a decision! Lol!!
Good luck,
Suz.

Tile, coping and waterfall are starting today! I ended up getting the Pacific Island vanuatu blue in 6x6 for the pool and 1x1 for the spa. It was a bit more than what I wanted to spend but I loved the color and think it will compliment the dark coping and waterfall stone well. Anyways here's some pics

19893598211_29ccba0798_b.jpg

19700563118_9f7f1b4775_b.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.