Who's still here? part II

Just thought I'd add:

Carolina-Panthers-Logo.gif

Headed to the first home playoff game in 5 YEARS this Saturday! :whoot:

:sleep: slowly getting around to taking the leaves off my cover and wishing for spring startup time again. Have to round up all the weeds around the pool again too. Miss that water! Check by here every week or two now while I wait.

im new, but here!

been chattin with waterbear and chemgeek.... smart lads!

i have an appointment with my accountant wed the 25th to fill out all the paperwork and make my service company legit and all that legal stuff. Looking forward to being my won boss and being something in this world :mrgreen: The economy isnt looking good but my hope and faith is :goodjob:

glad i cound the site and very happy for all the help ive gotten so far. anyone else with advise on starting your own pool service company feel free to send me a pm!! or if anyone wants to say hi!! that is cool too lol.. i get so bored in the off season!!!!

im thinking of gettin a tatoo of a hayward cl200 chlorinator on my bicep and having the tube run into my vien... LOL!!! im serious, but im not. i bet id get huge discounts from hayward!! :idea:

Matt

I'm still in every few days to lurk around. I am testing for a possible pool leak and I'd post water temp but the entire pool is shut down now so the Aqualink won't tell me water temp. I'll gues it's near 60-ish, around recent night time temps.

Athough our two days of misty rain has moved off and the temp today is supposed to get to 85 (!) a cold front will move in and we should hit 45 overnight. My only question is will that 40 degree drop occur over 12 hours or 2? Could be one of those classic "thought I'd put o shorts and plant me some tomatoes in the garden but before I was done it fell to freezing" sort of days.

Anonapersona

We're having those "thought I'd put on shorts and plant tomatoes but it was freezing by the time I got out there" type days too. Yesterday, a cold blowing mist, today sunny and mid 70's, by tonight down to freezing- crazy. I am taking advantage of the nice day to sweep the pool, put a sock on the skimmer basket, run the pump for 24 hours, and add the monthly dose of polyquat about 2 weeks late. This is my main monthly winter routine- the rest of the time a freeze protect timer runs the pump when we have a freeze, or a couple hours a night other times. We still get lots of bugs on the surface, even in January, so have to skim them in each night just to stay on top of them.
We have our solar system sitting in the boxes in the garage- will start rack building shortly- target date for solar heat- April 1st- no foolin'. Spring is running about a month ahead this year- we could possibly swim in April, though May is most likely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still here! Don't check the board too often, but at least every couple of weeks. We've had a pretty cold winter for Tampa Bay, so far. I have long johns on tonight, brrrrrrrr!

I am just counting the days until it's pool time again. We put our pool in last year the end of June and the time and fun we had in it was all too short. I loved every minute of it. We swam until October 15, as I recall.

Hope everyone is doing well! :goodjob:

I waited until I was 60 to ski down the front porch steps during the ice storm (6 wks. ago) and break my leg (knee) in 3 places.
I'm checking in early to get the solar heating ball rolling.
I'm picturing DIY physical therapy :-D

It looked close- the water was in the 60's, air temps in the 80's (in march!?!?). I got the pool cleaned and balanced, and the solar panels are sitting in boxes in the garage and then...4 inches of cold windy rain. Water is back down to 50 degrees and the place is a swamp. Still, never give up hope. We are still shooting for our April 1 solar install date- though that looks like it may be a little optimistic.

Texas hasn't decided if it wants to be warm already or still cold as the dickens (well, to us Texans anyway). This was our first winter with our pool and we've come through it unscathed... sorta. I had to fish a drowned bunny from the pool yesterday :( when I went out to turn the pool back on (it's been off all winter except for when we got below freezing). Hey amjohn, did you ever get rid of that skunk family?

The pool stayed clear all winter, except once. I added the bleach, swept, vac'd, backwashed and turned it back off again - until now. Hope everyone has had a great winter.

Can't wait for it to warm up and deciding now whether to get a solar cover to speed things up a bit. We had one at our other house and only used it one season because it was such a hassle. We may have to give it another try - only use a reel this time :lol: !

It is warm and very sunny, so we are getting closer. The water temp was 62 degrees today. The solar cover will come out as soon as we get the solar panels running to help conserve heat and/or, the water temp makes 75 degrees.
Cherie, the solar cover made a big difference this fall in the temperature swings between night and day, and cut down on water loss as well. With it, the temp diff between morning and afternoon in October was only 5 degrees and our average water temp was 10 degrees higher than our neighbors- we were still swimming, they were done. When we took it off for the fall, our average temp dropped 10 degrees in 24 hours, and our temp swings were much more severe. Solar covers are a pain, but it is worth it to me for spring and fall swimming. No need for it in mid summer. We cut ours into 3 pieces to make more manageable for me, and used a solar saddle.
The skunks moved on- Mom and Babette (female kit) left in the late Fall. Pepe (male kit) stuck around until about January, and we think has moved out to wilder and less busy pastures around us. Hopefully he won't come back. Several of our neighbors also had young skunks visiting them this fall, so it was an area wide problem this year.

I'm here almost every day now, absorbing as much info as I can. Closed the pool last year by ourselves, and this will be the first year opening it with BBB. (We converted midway through last year after this great site helped us fix our swamp-much appreciated!) Everyone has great knowledge which they willingly share, and I have learned so much already. I am really getting anxious to get the winter cover off and get things rolling!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.