Did I somehow fry my motor?

MJH

Jun 10, 2015
Plano TX
Had 6 weeks of steady downpours and storm flooding. Finally got a clear week and went out to deal with pool. Had lost power for 14 hours one day two weeks ago and pump/motor would not start since. Could hear humming noise from the timer box which was still keeping time, so disconnected motor from pump and conduit and took to pool store. It started up for them but was running loud and not very smooth. Took it home and planned to wire back on. Got shocked on Sat am, so called electrician on Monday. Power was going to the switch before the timer box, but turns out the 240 was coming from the breakers labeled pool pump, but also from a wire from inside the house that they had pulled (guess that's why it was still a little live when I went to wire it back on).

Electrician rewired switch and said he "bypassed" the timer box because he couldn't get everything in the timer box to work correctly and I was unwilling to keep paying for every little thing. As it was it cost me $800 to replace the switch and have him wire the motor back up. (don't even get me stated)

Thing is...once the motor was wired back on, it would make a humming noise but not start. So I checked and I could turn the impeller just fine. Have a doghouse on top and checked and the cap was blown. Went to Grainger and got a new one. Put new capacitor on and now the motor won't even make the humming noise. It's just 'dead'...no sound, no hum, nothing.

So I went from powered timer box but no power to motor. Then power to motor and humming but not turning over and starting. Then new capacitor but now nothing. Not even humming.

Is it dead? Do I need to replace the whole motor? He is only two years old and the preceeding one had lasted 7 years so I am confused that by replacing a blown cap I could just kill the whole thing but that is what it seems like I did. Any thoughts from all y'all more experienced folks? Thanks in advance...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.