Vinyl Inground Remodel Expectations

MT

Jun 27, 2013
Orange County, NY
Just finished a full vinyl in-ground pool remodel. 16' x 32' rectangular with 9' deep end. Just got the in-pool LED lights hooked up and first thing I noticed when I turned them on tonight was how irregular the surface of the liner is on the bottom and sides of the pool. It is bumpy everywhere. And all of the lines, like where the angled side walls meet the floor, none of the lines are straight, but more wavy. It is not noticeable at all during the daytime. And even if I turn on an additional flood light above the pool, you can't really see these problems. But with only the in-pool lights on, these blemishes are rather pronounced.

I'm just curious, is this normal for a vinyl pool? Before they put the liner in, they were applying many bags labeled "Pool Base" mixed with water to the floor and angled sides with shovels, since the old walls were rather eroded. But it is like they never ran a 2 x 4 over it to make it completely smooth, and the lines at transition points are not precise (picture drawing a line freehand vs using a ruler. Maybe they did run a 2 x 4 over it but it doesn't look that way. We never had lights in the pool before the remodel, so I don't know if that is what it was like before.

If by "running a 2x4 over it you mean screeding, that is not done with poolcrete.

Poolcrete is most always bumpy on the bottom but only showing up at night.

Are you saying it is on the pool walls also? Got a pic?

Yes, screeding is what I mean. It's good to know that screeding is not standard. When the pool was built over 25 years ago, it did have a very smooth finish on all surfaces. But maybe different materials were used back then? And the vertical walls are now perfectly straight and smooth. It is just the angled walls and floor that have a slightly dimpled look.

Based on what you are saying, sounds normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.