First time pool owner, low alkalinity

sarahk

Jun 12, 2015
Minneapolis MN
Hello! This is my first time opening a pool, and I'd love some advice. It's a small underground pool, about 7,000 gallons. We had it opened 5 days ago, and after shocking, backflushing, cleaning, etc, it is finally crystal clear. However, the chlorine and ph are still very high, but the alkalinity is really low (previous owners said that the alkalinity always read low, and they trashed their pool heater because of it). I ordered a TF100 test kit this morning, but currently am using strips to read. I know I need better numbers, but should I add something to the pool today to help get the alkalinity up? Like baking soda? Thank you so much!

wouldn't make ANY adjustments to chemicals until you get your TF100. for now just keep chlorine and pH stable. only time you need to worry about TA is if you pH is constantly high, which typically means you need to lower your TA...so opposite of what you are thinking. TA is one of the last things you need to worry about. First and most importantly is getting an accurate CYA (stabilizer) reading so you can get your chlorine in the correct level based on that.

if your chlorine level is high and not dropping quick, that's a good thing. it means you don't have algae consuming it. keep your chlorine up (doesn't sound like an issue) and hold out for that test.

high chlorine can also show falsely high pH as well.

Welcome! :wave: Let's see ... TF-100 on order ... CHECK :goodjob: Maintain FC and PH until kit arrives ... CHECK :goodjob: Signature ... hum? :) Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Nice to have you with us!

Welcome! I am so glad you found us and you will be too!

I bet the other owners never found TFP so they did not know how to balance their pool.

YOU on the other hand will do just fine with your test kit and us!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.