Helping a friend: This should be a good one

Mn5xNRE.png

This may be heresy, but maybe you should let the filter run up to higher pressures a bit. I know the 25% rule is good, but I think the more it clogs, the finer it can further filter which is why the pressure rises.

Your filter should have a max pressure rating. I'm not saying try to go that high, but if be surprised if you couldn't handle 20-25psi fine.

Before I got here, I would regularly yoyo my filter between 8psi with a fresh cleaning (not backwash) and 25psi. I wouldn't do that now, but it's probably safer than you think.

If it allows you to get 25% more filter time it's probably worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe put some DE in the sock in the skimmer basket as a prefilter as well. That would be another thing to clean though.

Maybe you could rig an a/c filter in front of the skimmer so you can change them out and rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to roll with the current setup tomorrow. We are trying to see if we can expand our now 2hr window to 4hr before Monday morning. If we can do that we can filter during the day and go from there. Once we can expand our window to 8 hours it's done. I thought about stuffing paper towels in the skimmer basket like I know some people do to get metals.

Good thing is we can monitor during daylight hours today and tomorrow and see where we stand. We aren't running through a ton of bleach so I think we're cool.

Also we are going to switch to 5ml FC testing and ignoring CC for now. I don't see the point. We already burned through one set of reagents and are on our 2nd and have a backup but still. I don't see .5 granularity being a big deal right now. Also switching to (let's be honest, staying with) 3-4 time per day testing. We know this pool's appetite in the current state.

One other brainstorm idea. If you have to put your pump on Recirc and not use the filter, have you tried to attach anything to the return to catch any debris? I feel like you could use the return fitting threads to screw on a some knee highs, or a sock, etc. Something that will just catch some amount of debris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are excellent ideas, thank you.

We actually have a new probl.... opportunity. The knee highs now get so clogged so quickly it reduces pump time to 1-2 hours before psi drops. We are thinking the particles are very very fine, there is very little "sand" in the knee highs anymore only ... "silty smooshy" debris. I am wondering if it's so fine now it won't clog the sand as quickly. Experiments tonight and we'll continue limping along.

Check this out, we actually passed OCLT this morning, and we can't see the 2nd step yet. However, the sample is clearer and there are spots visible on the 1st step I wasn't able to see last Saturday. Weirdly CC shot up to 5 this morning, back down to 3.5 at lunch. It's like the chlorine found something new to kill all of a sudden. One more sock of CYA should get us to 30, the sun is brutal in the South right now.

Will keep updating.

What a journey you have been on. Silty smooshy-----can you roll in into a ball with your fingers? What color is it? Does it smell?

There is another thread I am helping on that has something like this. I wonder if it is the same stuff?????????

Kim

It's white-ish and I don't think it has much of a smell. Dead algae?

"We" are experimenting with different sock/no sock combinations trying to get to reliable 4-5 hr window so we can at least filter all day if not all night. Now I know why people get frustrated. Even thought we've really been at it 9 days it seems like a very long time. I can tell by the photos we do get better every day. If not for pictures I wouldn't believe it. Sometimes I go back and read this thread from the beginning and it makes me realize it hasn't been that long. /diary

But just think, Mr. Bruce, nine days ago there was an entire ecosystem living in that water. It took quite some time to get to that bad, it's gonna take a while to clean it up. The pictures are a fabulous show of progress! Keep it up!

Day 9

I think we are to the point where we can filter during the day. We are up to 4 hr windows, so we at least have that. Passed OCLT test again, down 2 to 10 and CC 3 at lunch, added accordingly. Interesting thing is you can use pool water in the CYA tube to tell how much the water clears. Pool water now only 'reads' <20 CYA. Real CYA test showed 40, so I pulled the last sock out for no socks. It's probably slightly less than 30, will know once we have clear pool water.

I got a fine mesh leaf rake, similar to Yev's leaf skimmer cover idea, thank you. I put it in front of the skimmer and in 5 minutes the pump started sucking air. I bet if someone could sit by the skimmer and man that thing it would clear in a day.

The 2nd stair is slightly visible for the first time.
J8SP9pH.jpg

Day 9

I got a fine mesh leaf rake, similar to Yev's leaf skimmer cover idea, thank you. I put it in front of the skimmer and in 5 minutes the pump started sucking air. I bet if someone could sit by the skimmer and man that thing it would clear in a day.

J8SP9pH.jpg

If you just move the fine mesh leaf rake back and forth manually throughout the pool (not in front of the skimmer), does it collect any debris. If so, then just do this as much as you can practically stand to do.

If you just move the fine mesh leaf rake back and forth manually throughout the pool (not in front of the skimmer), does it collect any debris. If so, then just do this as much as you can practically stand to do.

Yeah, at lunch I did a lap, no time for anything else. It picks up some stuff but it is very hard to push through the water as you can imagine.

As I sit here and daydream about this pool, I wonder if I could mount it in front of the skimmer .... yes, I will crush 2 (empty but capped) bleach bottles and use them to hold it off the skimmer.

Last edited:
Think on this, it won't help the time between backwashes, but may filter pool a little quicker while you are away.

Cut some holes near the bottom of a five gallon bucket. Set on step. Throw a couple of rocks in. Stretch knee high, skimmer sock over top or set your fine mesh leaf rack on top. Add DE if you think it will help.

Set up siphon hose (maybe the vacuum hose, bigger the better) from deep end. Attach to vac on it's side or just weight it down. Siphon back to the pail. Depending on flow rate, you can pre-filter some of your water. Multiple hoses would be possible. Have the pail low enough in the water that you don't have to siphon too high.

This will all depend on whether you get a good flow or not. Sometimes I have been surprised with how effective siphoning can be. Sometimes I seem to have no joy. But may be worth trying.

Obviously, if you can get your hands on a submersible, even better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.