New Pool Build - Central Oklahoma

Not too much exciting here but they did finish the rebar yesterday. It is raining pretty good today as we are on the western edge of that tropical depression so I doubt they get anything done. Not complaining at all though because I know others are receiving the brunt of it. After today the forecast looks high and dry for at least the next 10 days so hopefully they will shoot the gunite soon. Not sure exactly what the order of events are following that but hopefully it will go quickly.

[URL=http://s621.photobucket.com/user/SoonerWing03/media/20150617_175936_zps5h0td1ku.jpg.html][/URL]

Waterfall & Grotto
[URL=http://s621.photobucket.com/user/SoonerWing03/media/20150617_180119_zpsxiqsc2us.jpg.html][/URL]

Before rebar is easier, but be sure you are good with all pool depths before gunite. There have been several threads recently where the depths were not as expected, both ways.

Unfortunately the waterline and some accents along the benches is the only place where we will have the opportunity to show off the tile as we do not have any other elevated areas unless we wanted to glam up the waterfall I guess. I’m 90% sure that we are going to do a rock outdoor bar area right off the back porch so I might use the tile there as backsplash (saw that in MatinKennedy’s build and it looked amazing…but come on, what didn’t look amazing in that build). Our bar area is mainly a place to put drinks and some bar stools, and I doubt we go to the expense of equipping it with a grill, sink, refrigerator, etc… I would love to but I am just not sure that I can justify the extra expense. Maybe just a grill….and a fridge…. Oh here we go….

Here is the Coping / Tile Combination we decided to go with:
[URL=http://s621.photobucket.com/user/SoonerWing03/media/20150612_141358_zpsbtclr32z.jpg.html][/URL]

My wife and I want a lighter colored blue water as the majority of the pool will be in the shadow of the house after about 4 PM and we are concerned that will make the water appear much darker. So here is the current leader in the club house for the pool finish.
Brand: Finest Finish Series: Radiant Fusion with Pebble Radiance Color: Blue Frost
This is the same series MartinKennedy used, just a different color. Seeing their pool gave me the confidence to go with this product.

FF_RadiantFusion_BlueFrost-1.jpg

[URL=http://s621.photobucket.com/user/SoonerWing03/media/IMG_088311_zpskl6lgyy3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s621.photobucket.com/user/SoonerWing03/media/IMG_163711_zpsmfwas4kg.jpg.html][/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

Before rebar is easier, but be sure you are good with all pool depths before gunite. There have been several threads recently where the depths were not as expected, both ways.

Thank you so much for that suggestion bmoreswim. How much should I subtract from the top of the rebar to the top of the forms to determine pool depths?

I would use 3" as the distance from the top of the form (which is about where the top of the waterline tile will be) to the mid-skimmer height which will be your average water level.
Also use about 3" for concrete thickness above the rebar assuming the rebar is already elevated to its final height which I believe yours is.

They are shooting the shell this morning. I was a little worried because we are supposed to have some scattered storms this afternoon. PB and Gunite guy told me that would be okay because it needs to stay moist for 7 days. To the extent that I need to wet it down twice a day during that period. Gunite guy said that it will take them 4 - 5 hours and then an hour later it will be hard and fine to get wet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A work of art! It looks amazing! You guys must be thrilled! Ya'll have worked so hard on getting just what you wanted, and you're getting closer and closer to that vision being reality! I am truly excited for you guys! Take care. Suz.

Happy 4th!!! Here is a quick update on what happened last week. Most of the pool tile and coping is done, but I was not real impressed with the coping guys. We think that we love our tile choice because it appears to be different colors depending on how bright it is outside and the angle you are looking at the tile. Can't wait for it to be finished so that we can seal the coping so that it stays the darker "wet" look.

Ohhhhh, Sooner! That is marvelous! Bravo on your selections! I thought the tile was pretty when you first showed it to us. But seeing it on your pool, well, it is amazing! Especially with your coping! I wouldn't have guessed, but they look like they were made to go together! I love how the tile catches the light. It looks like streaks of silver going through it! I feel the same way about our coping - I'm ready to seal it to keep it looking good.

I can't wait!!!! Next stop, plaster??? Happy 4th to you and your family!

Suz.

Ohhhhh, Sooner! That is marvelous! Bravo on your selections! I thought the tile was pretty when you first showed it to us. But seeing it on your pool, well, it is amazing! Especially with your coping! I wouldn't have guessed, but they look like they were made to go together! I love how the tile catches the light. It looks like streaks of silver going through it! I feel the same way about our coping - I'm ready to seal it to keep it looking good.

I can't wait!!!! Next stop, plaster??? Happy 4th to you and your family!

Suz.

Thanks Suz! I think they are supposed to work on the decking next week and then the plast. Trying to figure out the timing on everything has been a bit tricky. Supposedly 2 weeks out ***fingers crossed***

- - - Updated - - -

Oh PRETTY!

Why are you not happy with your coping?

Kim

Happy with the coping but the guys installing it were less than impressive. They started on Tuesday and did 3/4 of it. On Wednesday they hardly did anything and same story Friday... it's still not finished and should have been a 2 day job (according to PB). On top of that I had them replace 9 of them. Kinda upset that they tried to get that kind of work by me.

Quote: Happy with the coping but the guys installing it were less than impressive. They started on Tuesday and did 3/4 of it. On Wednesday they hardly did anything and same story Friday... it's still not finished and should have been a 2 day job (according to PB). On top of that I had them replace 9 of them. Kinda upset that they tried to get that kind of work by me.[/QUOTE]

Sooner: You did the right thing holding them accountable. It is disappointing when people don't take pride in their work, especially a craft. Well, now I'm sounding like my grandmother! I guess there have always been some who don't care about their work and others will be in the future. Only if we let them get away with it, though!

I was talking to one member of the crew, and he said it is great to see homeowners that are involved. He told me that most people hang out inside, and peek out the windows. I was stunned, I am out there hovering and asking questions the whole time they are there. It has worked out well, since when they arrive, I ask what they are doing that day, and we chit chat about it for a few, and there have been a couple things that could have gone really wrong. For example, when they came to dig the electrical trenches, the digger only knew of 2, when there are 4. Had I not gone out to chit chat, the electrician would have had to come back out a second time, and the excavator would have had to come back out again. Most of the guys seem amused by me, there is one that I think doesn't like it, but I watch him like a hawk ;)

"one that I think doesn't like it" Have to wonder why?? I have found there is a reason and I bet that reason is he wanted to take shortcuts and knew he would not get by with it at your place! GOOD JOB!

Kim

Getting closer. They started working on the decking when we were out of town this weekend but luckily they didn't pour it until today. We only stayed long enough to get the hand prints in so I can wait to see what it looks like when I get home from work. It seems to be taking so much longer now that we are closer to being completed. I might have to get up on the roof this evening and see if I can get a better picture of the deck as a whole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.