Free Chlorine Levels

Yes, bleach/liquid chlorine definitely loses strength over time. Store it in a cool dark place to help and buy from somewhere that turns over their supply frequently. I buy store brand from the grocery store.

Skimmerswimmer thanks for the info, the reagents I am using are the original ones that came with the unit.

I used the different bleach today and the reading are much more accurate to what I expect using PoolMath.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pool store where I live that I could use as another way of comparing.

This may be a silly question but is there a "best" place to get the pool water from for testing? I usually just go to the end farthest from the return, I have an oval pool.

I usually go near the deep end away from the return jet and push the vial down about a foot under the water, fill it, dump it, then fill it again. If you want to compare readings from day to day, it's best to take them around the same time of day. I remember when I got my kit from Amazon, the CH reagents were almost expired already, which is why they were not reading accurately. I now get all my reagent refills from Pool-Spa Resource, Pool-Spa Water Quality Problems Help since he can guarantee the freshest lots. When using the Lamotte kit, always clean your vials with the brush and cold tap water, and keep them dry and clean when placing them into the unit for a reading. Don't let anything get into the display unit either, and store everything in a closet when you're done. I'm on my 3rd year with the unit, with fresh reagents, and I'm very happy with it. It is very consistent, and since I'm color blind, I really don't have great alternatives using standard kits. Good luck with everything, and once you have some experience with both kits, take a bunch of side by side comparison readings, and post them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.