Hayward S200 Sand Filter Leaking

May 31, 2015
Pelham
I replaced the sand on this filter, which I have done a couple of times without incident. When I fired the system back up the filter was leaking where the top cover meets the base. I made sure the screws were tight (the many, many screws to secure the top cover to the base of the filter. Today I took the cover off and thought maybe the TOP DIFFUSER was not tight to the INTERNAL DIFFUSER ELBOW, so I made sure to was tight. When I fired the system back up the filter began to leak again. Any suggestions?

I also have the same sand filter and I deep cleaned it this year also by removing all the bolts and pulling the top half off.
Before I put the top back on. I removed the gasket and cleaned the gasket channel real good with a tooth brush.

I then used plummers grease on the gasket, when I put all the bolts back in and turned it on it also leaked at the joint where the gasket is. I re tighten the bolts while it was under pressure trying to apply equal torque to each bolt.

That worked and it hasn't leaked at all since.

Not sure when the gasket was replaced, might be the trick. Move the gasket around and if the leak follows the gasket it is the gasket. If not check the tank for a crack. SX200Z7 is the gasket number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.