Question about sand

I wasn't going to change my sand. I bought this house 4 years ago and I am not sure when the sand was last change. For the most part my pool is very clear but, last year I started getting this dirt/dust on my pool floor. I was convinced it was mustard algae so completed the SLAM and then raised my pool up to mustard algae shock levels for 24hrs and it came back.

Anyway, I opened up last weekend and now the stuff is back. Pool is clear, passed OCLT. I don't think it's algae because it was showing up when my FC levels were at 22. It also seemed to appear quickly after I brushed my pool. So, I figured maybe my filter is not able to filter it out and that is why I was thinking about changing my sand.

Oh, and yes I have tried deep clean last year.

It looks similar to what Gdog posted in this thread.
What is this in my pool ?

Last edited:
Ok. Just wanted to check. I am fairly certain the pool sand you found it correct. That is the same stuff I put in my filter and it is fine. Just remember to backwash and rinse the sand really well before letting it filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.