How can I tell water is going through pump? Also, how to clean pump basket?

May 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
While my pump is on and I'm looking at the pump basket, should it almost look empty / like there's no water because it's circulating water without any air? I recently had the pool running below the skimmer line, but I've since filled my pool and have had the pump on, but just wanted to make sure it's actually circulating water. Right now, it looks like it's "empty"

Also, I've searched online that you need to close main and skimmer drain valve before cleaning out the pump basket? I was wondering what is the reason for this and if it is necessary to? And how can I find these valves?

Thanks!

Can you put your hand in front of the return jet to feel the pressure.

Yup, just did that and it worked. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the pressure gauge on the filter. With pump off, it should show zero. If it doesn't, you have a bad gauge. With pump on, you should see it go up. If it does, the pump is working. The return flow should feel like a garden hose open halfway.

Thanks! Yes, the pressure gauge does go to 0 when I turn the pump off. However, the pressure gauge has been around 3-5 psi. I bought a new gauge but haven't been able to install it because the previous owner seems to have glued around where I would twist off the gauge. If the pressure gauge isn't broken then I don't want to go out and replace it if I don't have to. What do you think?

Yup, just did that and it worked. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Yes, the pressure gauge does go to 0 when I turn the pump off. However, the pressure gauge has been around 3-5 psi. I bought a new gauge but haven't been able to install it because the previous owner seems to have glued around where I would twist off the gauge. If the pressure gauge isn't broken then I don't want to go out and replace it if I don't have to. What do you think?
Big filter and small pump could easily have your pressure that low. Watch it. As the season progresses, it should slowly start to rise. The glue could be pipe dope, that's sort of off-white.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.