Return jet is blowing our cover off - how can I tame this thing?

Late last season, our semi above ground pool was finally up and running after many delays (the liner floated, drain had to be installed). We noticed that the return was quite powerful, assumed that it was due to the proximity of the pump. We purchased several solar discs, and found it slightly amusing to watch them whip around the pool when the pump was on.

This year, some of the solar discs (large, semi inflated 5' in diameter things that are supposed to reduce heat loss) didn't over-winter well in our shed, and have lost their ability to stay fully inflated. In the morning, it looks like a log jam, with discs pushed onto each other, jammed up, with most of the pool exposed.

In frustration, I purchased a solar cover, and decided on buying the next size up in case my hunch was correct. Sure enough, when we folded under the extra cover near the return, in about 3 hours, the jet pushed half the cover into the centre of the pool, folding it up like an accordion.

For now, I have decided to take some of the excess solar cover, drape it over the side, and weigh it down with some bricks. Not sure how this will work in the long run, wonder if I'll end up tearing the solar cover, and also wonder if the cover will ever become partially airborne, as we are in a windy area (I saw a large trampoline bounce through our yard, over the fence, as though it was weightless).

When I look at the return/jet, it is round, with a semi circle type of hood that seems to be angled to the side, and slightly upwards. I can't seem to turn it, by hand, where there is a type of screwed on ring. The entire jet is screwed into the side of the pool with several screws, but I don't know if it is also glued in?

Is it normal for the jet to be this strong/break the surface of the water?

I can take photos of the jet tomorrow.

I've found the covers stay better put when they are cut to size, rather than with overlap. The overlap allows wind/water, etc. to displace the cover. When you cut them to size, they do a pretty good job of "sticking" to the water and not folding up. If you can point the jet downward and cut the cover to proper size, I think you'll be happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.