AquaTrol Not generating-- power light on

aplus

Aug 30, 2009
When I first started up the system lights were fine, I would see the flow light flash until established and then went out. However, now that the system is about 1 week in use, I noticed that only the power light is on, and no other lights are functioning. Unplugging and replugging made no difference, I usually see the flow light flashing but that no longer happens either. I have set the switch to Auto at 100% generating, and no sign of any activity. Here are my diagnostics:

100P
AL -6
r1.45

Checked the 20A fuse on the board and it appears intact, no sign of it being shot.

I have not contacted Hayward Support but that was my next step after posting here. Hopefully someone can help me. The unit has only been used for one season.

Thank you.

Re: Aquarite Not generating-- power light on

Your salt is too low. If the flow light was flashing at some point, it mean there was an issue that no longer exists. It means to check the flow - maybe an obstruction at the cell, not enough pressure.

Add enough salt to get to 3,000 or 3300 and see if that improves things. I recommend you turn off or unplug the cell while adding the salt and turn it back on after 4-6 hours or so.

Re: Aquatrol Not generating-- power light on

Your salt is too low. If the flow light was flashing at some point, it mean there was an issue that no longer exists. It means to check the flow - maybe an obstruction at the cell, not enough pressure.

Add enough salt to get to 3,000 or 3300 and see if that improves things. I recommend you turn off or unplug the cell while adding the salt and turn it back on after 4-6 hours or so.

Thanks for the response. Would I not see the low salt led come up though? I am concerned because I see a lot of posts here where people experience only a power light and no other leds coming on being a board issue such as a blown fuse. As for the flow led that seemed to always come up anytime I plugged the unit into the power outlet at least for the first 20-30 seconds and i no longer see that. I know the salt reading seems to be working as I added six bags over the last two days and the reading went from 1300 to 2300 on the main screen (not the instant reading in the diagnostics screen). I will continue to add salt in the meantime to see if that helps.

Any other ideas in case is not the salt?

Thanks.

Ive noted in Bold below, what each of your diagnostics mean.

When I first started up the system lights were fine, I would see the flow light flash until established and then went out. However, now that the system is about 1 week in use, I noticed that only the power light is on, and no other lights are functioning. Unplugging and replugging made no difference, I usually see the flow light flashing but that no longer happens either. I have set the switch to Auto at 100% generating, and no sign of any activity. Here are my diagnostics:

2300 = salt display, usually is the level sensed, but not always, due to faults in other places. if you have some other faulty component, such as cell or board, then this just might be frozen on this value
67 = water temp
32.1 = voltage
0.00 = current draw. if unit is making chlorine, this will somewhere around 7ish
100P = percent output
-0 = salt level
AL -6 = cell size. Right now its set for a T6 cell. Is that what you have? If not, change it to the correct cell size.
r1.45 = firmware revision of your SWG controller

Checked the 20A fuse on the board and it appears intact, no sign of it being shot.

I have not contacted Hayward Support but that was my next step after posting here. Hopefully someone can help me. The unit has only been used for one season.

Thank you.

I've never heard of AL-6 but the AL is the name sent to the automation system not the cell size. This is used with remote controls etc.

Here is the information I have:

AL-0 is AquaRite
AL-1 NatureSoft
AL-2 MineralSprings
AL-3 SmartPure
AL-4 This changes the default display from average salt to percent output.
AL-5 This is used with Jandy automation.

I would change it to AL-0. You can do this by going to the AL display and repeatedly switching it to super chlorinate and back to auto.

I've never heard of r1.45 either. I thought the software revisions went from r1.40 to r1.50 which is the latest.

There is no T cell 6. There is only T 3,5,9 and 15.

First thing I would do is change the AL to AL-0. Maybe everything will start to look normal then.

To expand on what Ned said, it's only since software version r1.50 (came out in 2009) that there's been an option to select cell size.

Ok an update. Firstly, apologies, this is not an Aquarite unit but an Aquatrol. Therefore, the AL-6 as per the manual is specific to Aqua Trol. That would also probably explain the controller SW rev of r1.45 for the AquaTrol.

As for my issue, adding another 3 bags of salt seemed to resolve my issue. I followed frustratedpoolmom's suggestions exactly and this morning the generating light was going. I was sure I had a board issue since I wasnt seeing the normal lights I was used to and expected to see. Lets hope that my issue is resolved and the unit continues to generate. Here are my updated diagnostic numbers (before and after):

2300 -> 2900
67 -> 69
32.1 -> 26.8
0.00 -> 3.8
100P -> same
-0 -> -3400
AL -6 -> same
r1.45 -> same

Thank you for all the advice! Great forum!

Unfortunately, looks like my issue has come back. When I got home from work, the unit was no longer generating and diagnostics now read the following (I am including the previous values to show the trend):

2300 -> 2900 -> 3000
67 -> 69 -> 67
32.1 -> 26.8 -> 32.1
0.00 -> 3.8 -> 0.00
100P -> same -> same
-0 -> -3400 -> -0
AL -6 -> same -> same
r1.45 -> same -> same

It appears that the detection of instant salinity is what is acting up. I obviously have enough salt in the pool, I have actually added 9 bags total this week. What could cause the system not to detect my current salt levels, as it appears the system thinks I have no salt and therefore generation turns off.

Ok I called Hayward Support and the issue is solved. Here is the solution in case anyone hits this annoying issue that I did.

The AquaTrol unit on the front has a pump timer. When you plug your pool pump into the AquaTrol, it has a built-in timer with a dial on the front of the control box to allow you to set when the pump turns on and off. That dial has three settings, manual, OFF, and auto. If that time is set to OFF (which mine was since I had not plugged my pool pump into the AquaTrol), then this also overrides the chlorine system and behaves the way it did for me. What threw me off is that it actually did generate a few days ago.

24 hours and everything has been functioning. Hayward Support came through!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.