Who knows, who doesn't?

I just listen to other people talking about their pool struggles. I tried to offer advice but the next time I saw them, they would tell them same story. I just nod and listen. Some people like the struggle.
I am happy buying only chlorine and testing my pool every few days.

I was one of those people a few weeks ago. I never had issues with my Prestine Blue pool. 1.5lbs of shock once a week and adding Prestine Blue and Prestine Clear. What brought me here was that I was searching online for cheaper Prestine Blue prices. I was very nervous about the switch only due to me having a extremely busy life right now and afraid what would happen if I did something wrong. My one year old son was the reason for me to switch. When I learned that my pool being clear doesn't mean it's sanitized and him being safe is my #1 concern. My last trip to the pool store I asked for a copy of my test results, she gave me the results from the last 6yrs. I was shocked to see she only test my FC 6 times in 6 years. Ordered a TF-100 and tested my water 2-3 days after adding my normal shock along with PB and PC and I got FC-0, CYA-0, CH-275, TA-40, pH-7.5

Now it's FC-5, CYA-40, CH-225-250, TA-100-110, pH-7.5:D

Thanks TFP!

I feel like a expert talking to some people about there pools and I only been on here for a little over a month and I barely know anything. I know what the TF-100, Pool Math and Pool School has tought me and that's only the tip of the iceberg!

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
FC tested once a year. That's pretty funny.

The sad part is that the results that I have although don't show all the times its been sampled it NEVER was tested AT ALL in 2008, 2009, 2010, OR 2011. Three times in 2012, Once in 2013, Once in 2014, and the two times I went in 2015 before switching to TFPC it was only tested once out of the two times I went. I will never walk foot into the store again. This winter my filter cracked. I went there to get a price and I was told $475+Tax, ended up getting it on Amazon with PRIME Shipped Free 2nd Day for $275. Its sad the pool store charges so much with such poor advise.

Wayne

Wayne, look at the bright side. You found this site and now YOU will know what is going on with your pool. Two weeks ago I had to climb a fence that borders my neighbors yard to look at a tree in his yard that is damaging my fence. I was absolutely horrified to see about six kids swimming in a green pool. Disgusting. A few days later I hear this banging coming from his yard. I peek through the fence slats and this guy is banging his SWCG with a hammer. Maybe he read about SLAM somewhere but did not take the time to understand exactly what it means.:lovetfp:

Wayne, look at the bright side. You found this site and now YOU will know what is going on with your pool. Two weeks ago I had to climb a fence that borders my neighbors yard to look at a tree in his yard that is damaging my fence. I was absolutely horrified to see about six kids swimming in a green pool. Disgusting. A few days later I hear this banging coming from his yard. I peek through the fence slats and this guy is banging his SWCG with a hammer. Maybe he read about SLAM somewhere but did not take the time to understand exactly what it means.:lovetfp:

Was he attempting to break it, or did he think it was like an old truck starter that might break free if you tapped it with a hammer? Either way, that's dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went to a wedding this saturday and met a really cool couple, and the guy randomly starting talking about how his pool turned from green to brown in just a couple of days. then i mentioned i, too, had a pool and asked him the basic questions...and the response was right out of one of these pages..."well, the pool store told me my calcium level was WAY too high and thats what caused the algae outbreak." HO-LY $#!&!!! well, needless to say, his wife ended up telling my wife how her husband was rather intimidated by me busting out all the lingo about the CYA/chlorine relationship and how his dichlor tabs contain CYA and the calhypo he was using was jacking up his calcium...blablabla - now im a mad scientist. LOL! we invited them to come over the next day and he had some great questions - i think he's gonna end up installing a SWG to make his life easier. LOL! oh, and he invited us for his summer sushi saturdays at his house...so i'll be bringing my test kit along!

It's like trying to convert anyone who's addicted. They will only come around when they are ready. I always try but seldom succeed in getting someone to give up the pool store.

Attachments

• FR-11x14-Serenity-Prayer-Blue-Red-Yellow.jpg
    FR-11x14-Serenity-Prayer-Blue-Red-Yellow.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 190
I told my SIL, who lives next door. She was not interested, she is friends with the pool store owner's son. The pool store went out of business. She called them weekly for advice. She started to get algae last summer. She may start out okay this year, the pool was down about a third of the way. But months of pucks (that she puts in the skimmer, already getting a hole in the return hoses) and bags of "shock", my son and I guess she will be green by July. She only adds chlorine once a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been using TFP method for 3 summers. Pool stays crystal clear. I talked my dad into using the TFP method 2 summers ago. At the time he was using baquacil. His pool was cloudy 90% of the time and the kids hair turned green.

My dad passed away last May and my mom calls me every day asking what to add to her pool. I have told her a million times to get on this site and go to pool school, order test kit, and :blah:. It's like talking to a brick wall. I think she expects me to drive an hour each day and take care of her pool for her. It's just not possible for me to do that.

I have a feeling she is going to learn the hard way. She's already started going back to the pool store. She's not happy unless she's spending money and I'm sure they will gladly take it from her. She goes a full week without adding anything to it. The pool will be green in less than a month.

She calls me for advice and then doesn't do anything I tell her to do. So I'll just wait and see how she fairs this year. I just refuse to do everything for her.

It is hard to convert older folks who are set in their ways. My in-laws are the same way. Their pool is green as green can be right now and asked me how i kept mine so clear. I told them with bleach....lots and lots of bleach. And i get the same thing every year....Bleach will fade the liner, bleach isnt safe, the pool lady said it was bad to put bleach in your pool, i cant stand the smell of bleach....I dont want my pool smelling like bleach. When I told them it would take 15-20 gallons of bleach to clear the pool, they had heard enough. Off to the pool store they went with a sample of water. it's so frustrating....I know how to fix it, but they are too stubborn to listen.
And then they wonder why i hesitate to let my kids in their pool..........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End Rant....lol

Ok, I just made my first attempt to reach a non TFPC person. She posted her pool pic on Facebook and I sent her a link to the site and offered help if needed. Her pool is really green. We will see if she takes the bait. My money says no. She will continue on her puck using ways and continue to fight the green monster...and she's nowhere near Fenway.

What an entrepreneur should do is start a pool maintenance company that promotes the "Green" factor and by green I mean environmentally friendly not algae! Promote the fact that you use "natural" ingredients to maintain their pool and that you use less chemicals and common household ingredients instead! heck you could rebottle 8.25% bleach and resell it as "less potent environmentally friendly chlorine" (which is no lie) for them to use in between visits. Half of all this environmentally friendly stuff is just marketing anyhow! Market it as "The NEW way to take care of your pool!" But anyhow, I hear ya I don't even discuss my pool maintenance unless someone asks since like you have all said if I really told them they would think I was nuts so I just let the water speak for itself! LOL! My PB put in BIG BOLD LETTTERS on my pool maintenance instructions. DO NOT ADD CHLORINE BWAAAAA

When my order of taylor k-2006 came they sent me 6 kits by accident. I called,they said just keep them.

Now I'm big time newb when it comes to tfp, but have a few work friends with pools, so thought I'd try to do something nice and give a few of these $50 kits away.

One guy looked at me like I was crazy and said I should get some strips like he uses. Other guy said he didnt know what brand he used, but no thanks.

Oh well I'm done. I tried :)

When my order of taylor k-2006 came they sent me 6 kits by accident. I called,they said just keep them.

Now I'm big time newb when it comes to tfp, but have a few work friends with pools, so thought I'd try to do something nice and give a few of these $50 kits away.

One guy looked at me like I was crazy and said I should get some strips like he uses. Other guy said he didnt know what brand he used, but no thanks.

Oh well I'm done. I tried :)

Post some on here. I'm sure someone would take them off your hands. But yeah, what kind of goob wouldn't take a free $50 test kit. "No, I'd rather use my worthless $3 test strips and not know what is going on."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.