Initial Raypak 406A impression

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I have a newly installed Raypak 406A Electric Iginition which replaced a 15 y/o Hayward H400 Millivolt. My first experience, and just about everyone else's with the Hayward (about 5 years ago), was "Wow that heater really works", when I placed my hand in front of a return. With the Raypak, it's more like, ehhh, it's warm but nothing like the Hayward. Do I have scientific proof? No, just my fingers, but I'm a little disappointed. Can somebody explain the difference? In case you are wondering, I haven't changed anything else but the heater.

Again, I don't have any scientific proof, but I usually would turn the heater on when the water temp was around 75, it's around 71 now. I guess I will see how much difference those 4 degrees make this weekend. I will update the thread either way.

thanks!

You shouldn't get super heated water coming out as that could be an issue with someone "maybe" getting hurt. There are several things that could be a factor why you feel what you feel especially seeing the Hayward was 15 yo. One being the location of the heat exchanger with regards to the burners. A little further away on the new unit and maybe your old unit the flame height was really high for some reason. I wouldn't go messing with any of it though.

Raypak performs great compared to some of the brands out there. I just put one in for a customer yesterday and he was looking forward to not hearing a blower motor running while it was on. Although his neighbor has a newer Hayward so he'll still have to hear theirs when it's running.

I have to say that I'm really happy with the heating capabilities! My water temp was 67 at 10:30am on Saturday when I turned on the heater (set to heat til 80). When I got home around 7pm, it had already reached the target...way faster than than my old heater would've done it...saving me $$$ on my gas bill.

Again, this is not scientific, but my old heater would warm up the water by about a degree an hour, this one does it much faster. I don't understand how as I am totally convinced that, with the Hayward, the water coming from the returns was warmer. Obviously, I'm missing something, but the important thing is that I'm happy!

thanks to everyone who takes time to respond to questions in forums, your answers make my life easier!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.