Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in basket

I've tried doing a search but I guess I'm not using the right terms.

I went out to brush the pool today and noticed that one of the returns wasn't working. I checked the pump and the basket has a lot of air in it. One of the other returns has air bubbles coming out(the one furthest from the pump) while another is running at full force (the one closest to the pump.)

I asked DH to check and he played with some valves and accidentally drained some water out of the spillover-spa. Then he had to take DS to baseball game.

Well, spa refills with super cloudy water, so now not only do I have air I have a cloudy pool.

I checked for air leaks, putting water on all the joints looking for air bubbles but found nothing. What do I do now?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14188 Marcite pool. 1/2 hp pump Hayward cartridge filter. SWCG Goldline T-15 Turbo cell. Spillover spa. Birdcage.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in basket

Now it's my turn to go to baseball game. More pics of pool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14188 Marcite pool. 1/2 hp pump Hayward cartridge filter. SWCG Goldline T-15 Turbo cell. Spillover spa. Birdcage.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a suction side leak and likely culprits are usually the seal for the pump lid basket or valves. Remove the pump lid, make sure the seal is completely clean and put a little plumbers greese on it. It sounds like you may have already checked the valves by putting water on them.

Otherwise is could be a broken pipe somewhere. Also, a diry impeller sometimes will cause those symptoms.

Others may have some more ideas.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Jenn - welcome to TFP!!

Mark has given you good advice! There's an article in Pool School about leaks here

If you have any trouble locating and fixing the leak, Mark, I and the rest of the members will be here to help

I wish you well with fixing this problem and sincerely hope that it's the only one you ever have
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Off to check. I hope it's something simple. We replaced the pump recently. Maybe it was a bad install.

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, we think we found the issue. DH cleaned the salt cell but didn't fully tighten it. We tightened it up and the pump basket is air free.

Thanks for the help

P.S..I was out there brushing because I have some stains in the pool. I put some Vit C tabs on one and let it dissolve while I puttered with the pump. When I came back there were black spots where the Vit C tabs were. Oy.

7. Back To Top    #7

The SWG is on the return side of the plumbing so I don't think it would have anything to do with air in the pump basket which is caused by a suction side plumbing leak. If the SWG had a leak, it would spray water because it is under pressure and you could easily tell. Something else must have solved the problem.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater