New Pool Owner - Chemistry & Procedure Questions

Get the Cya down and stock up. You can boost the FC to SLAM level, but with the Cya higher than you may even know, it will be a waste. Slamming with even 100 Cya takes an unreasonable amount of FC to get the job done. A staggering amount to be honest.

Get the Cya down and stock up. You can boost the FC to SLAM level, but with the Cya higher than you may even know, it will be a waste. Slamming with even 100 Cya takes an unreasonable amount of FC to get the job done. A staggering amount to be honest.

Thank you.

I'll see if I can drain/fill 1/3 tonight after work.
Maybe I'll work from home tomorrow and just set up on the deck so I can monitor more drain/fill.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do much this weekend, as it is mother's day AND my wife's birthday. But I will try to continue lowering the CYA when she isn't looking.

Updating my pool volume, since the wife found a detailed measurement in a pile of old papers the previous owners left.
Original measurements I was given were 18.5'x36', 4'-8' depth, which gave me 29,970 Gal
Detailed measurements from the company that replaced the liner a while ago were 18'3/8" x 36'1" x 4' deep for the first 12', and a constant slope to 8' past that. This gives me 26,032 gal.

So, to drain/refill 1/3 of the pool, I need ~8.7k gal, which should be a drop of 1.77'

Well, I understand, and wish you could get right to it. Just start working on it, and do what you can. Once you get the Cya reasonable, you'll have something to work with. Come on back when you're closer and let us know. It's about to heat up around here, but I'll subscribe and keep a lookout for ya.

A little more math, because posting it reassures me.

With my somewhat inacurate (due to dilution test) measurement of 200ppm CYA, I get the following.

Starting CYA * 2/3 volume = Resulting CYA * full volume
200 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~133 ppm
133 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~89 ppm
89 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~59 ppm
59 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~39 ppm

Obviously I will retest after every drain and fill session (I have extra CYA reagent as well as FAS/DPD on order from tftestkits), but I believe I have a minimum of 3-4 to get this done. (safely) I don't look forward to my water bill, but it beats having a swamp in the middle of the deck.

A little more math, because posting it reassures me.

With my somewhat inacurate (due to dilution test) measurement of 200ppm CYA, I get the following.

Starting CYA * 2/3 volume = Resulting CYA * full volume
200 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~133 ppm
133 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~89 ppm
89 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~59 ppm
59 ppm * 17.3k gal / 26k gal = ~39 ppm

Obviously I will retest after every drain and fill session (I have extra CYA reagent as well as FAS/DPD on order from tftestkits), but I believe I have a minimum of 3-4 to get this done. (safely) I don't look forward to my water bill, but it beats having a swamp in the middle of the deck.

Yep, and after you get it right don't put anything in that will throw it off balance. Most importantly keep your FC at target range and never let it slip below the Min range. If you do this, you shouldn't need to SLAM or use algaecide again.

Slight Update:

I am working from home today, and attempting the drain and fill process.

I started draining this morning, and I was set up with the laptop on the deck to keep an eye on things.
When the water line got to the bottom of the skimmer, I shut off the pump, closed that side of the intake, and started the pump back up.
It continued draining until it came to the top of what I thought was one of 3 returns, and that "return" started sucking air, and stalled the pump.
I thought it might be a safety in case the main drain is clogged, so I tried putting a plug in, but the pump (filled back up with water a few times to try priming) would not pull any water.

So, I'm guessing the main drain is so blocked that it cannot get enough water through, if any, to keep the pump running. Either that, or the third port on the side of the pool is the secondary drain, and there is no main. ( I have not been able to see the bottom of the deep end to confirm if there is a drain. The shallow end is hard to see with how green the water is.)

So, I tried mucking about with a vaccum hose attached to the port I had thought was a return, and I managed to prime the pump (with difficulty) and get it pulling water, but it was struggling, and never managed to purge all the air from the pump housing. I think this is due to a lack of flow through the hose. So, rather than overwork the pump, I am filling back up, and I will have to perform more drain/fill sessions than I originally planned.
I was able to drop the water roughly 1', instead of the 1.77' I calculated for the 1/3 volume drain. I plan on filling up to the very top of the skimmer, past what I would consider optimal fill, circulate, and repeat the drain/fill.

From my calculations, this issue takes me from 3-4 drains to 5-6. Hooray!

Hopefully I can have the CYA down to an acceptable level to start my SLAM next weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did what I could this weekend.

After second drain/fill: Diluted CYA test read ~55 which would be 110 ppm.

After third drain/fill: I was able to perform a standard CYA test which read somewhere between 90-100 ppm.

After fourth drain/fill - CYA between 70-80.

(Glad I picked up more CYA reagent from TFTestKits, as the Taylor kit ran out with that last test.)

Good work, keep it up. This is why we suggest the TF100 so much. In the long run, you're better off with more reagent up front. No matter, you're good to go with new stock. You could skip the next Cya test, if you know another drain is going to be required.

Knowing that I was starting at or above 200ppm, I probbaly could have skipped a number of CYA tests. However, I have more reagent now than I will (hopefully) ever need, and as an Engineer, I love data. So I plan to continue testing.

In prep for my SLAM, I'm hoping to find a good spot to set up my raspberry pi with a time lapse camera, and make some fancy graphs as I go. We will see if I actually have the motivation and/or time for either of those.

Ok, I understand that. Entirely up to you, and they will make more reagent, no doubt. :lol:

That would be neat to see, but a few shots along the way would be great to see. We love transformation pictures.

Well, drain/fill #6 finished around 10PM last night, so I didn't test the level.

I turned the pump on to circulate when I woke up, and tried to test the CYA after an hour, right before heading to work.
I think I will test again after work when there is (hopefully) more sun, because I'm questioning my reading this morning.
CYA - Just a tiny bit below 60 ppm, when reading in the 6:15 dawn. (Ran it twice)

I expected it to be closer to 50, based off the dilution math.

Maybe I had been reading it low prior to now, maybe I was reading it high this morning, but I will drain/refill yet again if necessary. (What's one more when you've already done 6?)

Yea....good point. the Cya test is really not a precision one, so don't take it too hard. Target turbidity testing is a little subjective, but you are making great progress. It's frustrating, but we see this exact situation over, and over, and over every year. Pools that are over stabilized is about the most common issue we deal with here. Most of them become converts...or more appropriately, educated pool owners. Pretty amazing isn't it?

Yeah, it's scary how people can blindly throw chemicals at something they swim in.

However, with the other stuff I've seen inside the house, the previous owner's lack of care is not surprising.

I did as much research as I could up front, and decided BBB/TFP method was the best up-front. So I'm not necessarily a convert, maybe a new category.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.