Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

Good morning. Glad you're dealing with a clear pool, however you got there ;)

Once you get your cya added, please note, it will not show up in reading for a week, so don't bother testing it again for a while after you add it. However, if you've added enough for example, 30 or 40 ppm, then assume its there and use that for your FC guideline.

Bring your ph down right away but don't worry too much about the TA until after the party -- TA adjustments take a while and aren't mission critical, and you won't want to be muckin with all that pre-party ;)

Lastly, make sure your FC is at the recommended level (see cya:FC link in my sig) and you're good to go.

You have a vinyl liner, so your low CH doesn't matter. You might want to add the vinyl liner piece to your signature, btw ;)

Have a great weekend!

Sorry you had to drain the pool, but that does make it go faster :) Now just maintain the water balance with diligence, and you should be able to avoid any future slams.

Well.... I made it all the way to august. We took a long weekend and I came back to a bit of a greenish tint to the pool. I've been working on it for about 2 weeks now and it seems so close but I just can't seem to get past this spot. I am starting to wonder if my sand needs to be changed out of the filter. I have not changed the sand since owning the house, about 3 years. I have been shocking the heck out of this thing and it just hovers right in the color zone that the pics show. Hope it's ok I'm tagging onto my own thread here. I can start a new one if needed. Thanks for any advice.

20150812_072542.jpg - Google Drive
20150812_072520.jpg - Google Drive
20150812_072540.jpg - Google Drive

That pool is so-o-o-0 close to being clear. Are you running the pump 24/7 ?

If not, do so. I would also suggest that your CYA may be 40 ppm and that a constant level of 16 ppm should be in the pool for 24/48 hours.

Sometimes the SLAM just needs a little bump and your pool is cleared. make sure you are running that pump all the time and that your filter has been backwashed appropriately

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you come across this during your time on the forum?
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I wonder if opening and cleaning your filter would be worth a try, given how long your pool seems to take to clear (both during the initial SLAM and now).

Also, what is your daily chlorine consumption like, two weeks into the latest SLAM? In other words, are you still fighting live algae, or is it mainly a filtration problem at this point?

My FC Fell from 16 this morning to 11.5 this afternoon. I was unable to come home for lunch and add more so that is about how much I am losing on a normal sunny day. I definitely need to do the sand cleaning. I am employing the DE method also. My multi-valve is not directly on top of my filter so I need to figure out how to go about doing the deep clean process correctly. Thanks again for all of the info!

I assume you are on city water so metals shouldn't be a problem but having your water tested for metals from the pool store might not be a bad idea.

It has been suggested before in this thread but algae can lurk in all sorts of places, hiding in light niches or behind ladders or inside skimmers. Search every little spot on your pool and see if you can find something and clean it out.

Ok, here's today's update.
20150817_072950.jpg - Google Drive
20150817_073007.jpg - Google Drive
20150817_073034.jpg - Google Drive

It looks slightly better but I am moving on to the deep clean filter process as it just doesn't seem to want to clear up. I was hoping someone could help me understand what I need to do for my filter as it looks a bit different than the one from the deep clean videos. I am worried about how to depressurize the filter and unhook it from the system. I see the two ports on the right side and the cap on the top. Is there a process I need to follow before unscrewing the top/side ports? I assume setting the multi-port to closed and closing off my drain and skimmer valves? Thanks again for all the help!

Ok, here's today's update.
20150817_072950.jpg - Google Drive
20150817_073007.jpg - Google Drive
20150817_073034.jpg - Google Drive

It looks slightly better but I am moving on to the deep clean filter process as it just doesn't seem to want to clear up. I was hoping someone could help me understand what I need to do for my filter as it looks a bit different than the one from the deep clean videos. I am worried about how to depressurize the filter and unhook it from the system. I see the two ports on the right side and the cap on the top. Is there a process I need to follow before unscrewing the top/side ports? I assume setting the multi-port to closed and closing off my drain and skimmer valves? Thanks again for all the help!
As soon as the pump is off, the pressure is gone. Shut the valves, kill the pump for certain at the breaker, and unscrew the lid.

Check youtube. There are a lot of how-to videos and one may show your exact filter, so you can see in advance what it looks like inside.

All you need to do is turn the pump off and move the multiport handle to somewhere between any set position or to the "Winter" position if you have it on the valve. This will allow most of the water in the sand filter to drain back into the pool lines. Then you can safely remove the filter lid. The side-mount valves are actually much easier to clean than the top mounts.

The deep clean was pretty amazing. It took about 30 minutes before the water turned clear coming out of the top. Thanks for the links to the video instructions. Continuing to SLAM and hope for the best. I will take a picture tomorrow to show progress. Thanks again for all of the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.