Full week of slamming and not much progress Pics included.

Was out of town when the valve was serviced by local pool guy. Turns out he told my wife not to add any bleach to the pool as we had too much, I think around 14(was not too much for shock level according to CYA of 60). She hadn't added any since Thursday.. I tested yesterday and the FC was at 0 so I added enough to hit 24 (CYA 60). The pool has tinted back to a slightly greener green than it was yesterday. It actually had a blue tint yesterday and was looking better than today. Just wondering how adding the bleach could make the pool appear more green than when it has FC of 0? Thanks again for all the help.

Don't listen to the service man. Just keep following the SLAM process. I am sorry your wife did not add since Thursday. This slowed things down for you.

- - - Updated - - -

There is likely still something in there. Brush it real good and get the FC back up to shock level

Been monitoring all day yesterday and today. She told me the pool store guy said there were phosphates in the pool. I'm not real sure what that does exactly but they were trying to sell her something for that. Is there something I should be doing about that?

Ignore phosphates and don't buy phosphate stuff. The pool turned greener because the chlorine level dropped and algae grew more. That is why the M is in SLAM, it is important to maintain the FC at shock level to keep killing the algae or it will start to grow again.

Just for the sake of knowledge...for you and maybe for your wife also...they'll tell you about phosphates and do their best to sell you some pretty darn expensive phosphate remover.

Here's the pitch...phosphates are algae food so if you get rid of phosphates there won't be anything for algae to eat. (Simplified version)

Here's the reality... when your chlorine is kept at the proper level, algae can't live or grow so who cares if there's "algae food" in the pool? Dead algae can't "eat".

No need to control the "food" because you're making an environment where algae cannot survive long enough to "eat".

The SLAM process works regardless of the presence of phosphates. I've never had my water tested for phosphates. A lot of members here have very high phosphates but no algae problems.

It's just about understanding the FC/CYA ratio. (pool stores generally don't get it or don't want to get it) Once you're done with your SLAM you'll know how to maintain your FC properly and never have to worry about algae again!

I figured I'd just throw that in so the pool store/pool guy won't be able to catch you off guard again! ;-)

I'm just not seeing much for results this week. Checking FC levels 4 times daily and keeping at shock level. As the CYA drops, does it hurt to go above the recommended shock level? Would this speed up the cleaning of the water? Or would this be a waste? I feel like it has been stuck on the same color since sunday. no change. I don't remember it taking over 4 weeks to clear out last year... Any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know Skippy. After reading my response it does come off a little harsh, did not mean it that way. I meant it to be a little more positive, like "im working hard on it". Oh the internet. My real struggle right now is me vs. my wife. She is in the camp of "I dont know *** im doing and the pool guys do". It's not a fun place to be... If worst comes to worst, I guess i could bite the bullet and drain/refill.. It would hurt so much since im hundreds into buying bleach. Lets keep the fingers crossed.

Continuing on the phosphates. Don't add the phosphate remover, especially if you have a cartridge filter.

The treatment basically causes the phosphates dissolved in the water to precipitate out. That is why you see the cloudy water after you add the phosphate remover. Then it is up to the filter to remove them. The fine particles quickly fouled my filter cartridges and required cleaning....many times.

End of story. Bought new filter cartridges, found TroubleFreePool, life is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking at 50-80% chance of rain through next wednesday.. How much does rain water affect the SLAM process? I have enough bleach on hand to start a laundry service so if I need to add extra after the rains just let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.