New Pool Owner.Firs Opening/SLAM DONE!

Re: New Pool Owner.First Opening/TEST RESULTS IN!!!

Welcome!

Your biggest issue right now is the FC being zero. Add that chlorine with the baking soda.

Second issue is your Ph is low and the pool store should have tried to sell you something for that as well.

The test result for CYA being zero is very interesting, as your recent pool contractor must have been adding a Cal-Hypo shock or you have something eating the CYA that should be present in normal Tri-Chlor shock that your pool contractor most likely used, OR.....

Pool stores are notorious for getting the CYA reading wrong and the low limit is typically 20. So your results could be between 0 and 20 based on their results.

With a frog in the pool and the mess it must have enjoyed, it is plausible for you to have ammonia in the pool, which will eat the CYA and take a bunch of chlorine to get rid of.

I would suggest you continue adding nearly a gallon of bleach to the pool each day until you get your test kit.

Please stop going to the pool store, and rely on your own test results once you get your own kit.

Okay thanks. I will do...but one question. from the test results which ones look bad and which ones are okay? The reason why Im raising my alkalinity is to raise my pH? Im i correct?

Thanks again

We (you) do not want to spend a lot of time and money chasing pool store test results. Wait until you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we will go from there.

Raising "alkalinity" raises TA. TA is different from PH, though they are related to each other. TA is basically a measure of how much acid/base you need to add to change the PH by a fixed amount. Or to put it another way, TA helps buffer the PH and prevent it from changing too easily. At the same time, if TA is too high, it puts upward pressure on the PH, causing to to constantly rise.

You need to adjust both TA and PH, mostly separately. Changing one will change the other just a tiny bit, but you can often ignore that.

Thanks for the explanation & reply.Im just going to wait until the TF100 gets here and post those results. Also, sorry for double posting
Welcome!

Your biggest issue right now is the FC being zero. Add that chlorine with the baking soda.

Second issue is your Ph is low and the pool store should have tried to sell you something for that as well.

The test result for CYA being zero is very interesting, as your recent pool contractor must have been adding a Cal-Hypo shock or you have something eating the CYA that should be present in normal Tri-Chlor shock that your pool contractor most likely used, OR.....

Pool stores are notorious for getting the CYA reading wrong and the low limit is typically 20. So your results could be between 0 and 20 based on their results.

With a frog in the pool and the mess it must have enjoyed, it is plausible for you to have ammonia in the pool, which will eat the CYA and take a bunch of chlorine to get rid of.

I would suggest you continue adding nearly a gallon of bleach to the pool each day until you get your test kit.

Please stop going to the pool store, and rely on your own test results once you get your own kit.

Thanks for the reply!...I have back washed a couple of times already.Probably that's why CYA is 0???

We (you) do not want to spend a lot of time and money chasing pool store test results. Wait until you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we will go from there.
I agree. Stop getting pool store testing done and wait.

Will do, wont do anything until that kit gets here and have my own results.

Thanks

Just received my TF100 Kit in the mail an hour ago. Followed the instructions that come with the kit to perform every test. Also used the extended test kit directions thread on here to help me out. The pump wasn't running while taking the water example. Water is is looking the same as above.Cloudy.I haven't added any chemicals since I was waiting for the TF100 Kit. I also used the speestir on these test. One more thing. I found the bottle of one of the chemicals the leslies store sold me. They sold me the Natural Chemistry first pool aid and some muriatic acid. I put them straight into the water. The guy at the store didn't give me any instructions. But this happened even before I found this community and this was last Friday 4/17/15. I tried my best doing these test.First time doing them. Please let me know what steps I have to take to fix these numbers.

TF100 Test Kit Results 4/23/15

FC-0
TA-30
pH-6.8
CYA-0
CH-550

Leslies Test Results 4/21/15

FC-0
TA-20
pH-7.0
CYA-0
CH-360

Thanks

Re: New Pool Owner.Firs Opening/ TF100 TEST RESULTS IN!!!

I want the water circulating for at least 30+ minutes before you take a water sample (at least a foot below the surface) and test. So these numbers are questionable.

Add 2ppm of FC to the water, then you should raise the TA up to 60-70ppm with baking soda, 30 minutes later retest the pH and adjust to the lower 7s. Get 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock in the skimmer, and then start the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

I want the water circulating for at least 30+ minutes before you take a water sample (at least a foot below the surface) and test. So these numbers are questionable.

Add 2ppm of FC to the water, then you should raise the TA up to 60-70ppm with baking soda, 30 minutes later retest the pH and adjust to the lower 7s. Get 30ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock in the skimmer, and then start the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

thanks for the respond. I will let the pump run for an hour and post back the new results. I'm new to this so 2ppm would be 63oz? Im using 8.25% bleach. For the baking soda would be 197oz and for CYA in solid form not liquid Im looking to raise it from 0 to 30ppm. So that would be 84oz. Im using the pool math. I know that all this might be correct. But I just want to make sure I'm doing it right myself. Also, even though the pool is not green any more I have to go through the SLAM Process?

Thanks

Those are the numbers that PoolMath told me too :goodjob:
I may error a little on the low side for the TA, that is a lot of baking soda.

You said the water was cloudy ... and your FC has been 0ppm ... so yes I would say you need to SLAM.

Those are the numbers that PoolMath told me too :goodjob:
I may error a little on the low side for the TA, that is a lot of baking soda.

You said the water was cloudy ... and your FC has been 0ppm ... so yes I would say you need to SLAM.

Thanks for the quick respond!...Right now I won't be able to do this steps you told me since they are switching my electrical connection so I can run my pump on 230v. Running 115v right now.That's why I gave these results these morning with pump off....But just to make sure Im understanding this right. Do I add the chlorine and baking soda at the same time or add baking soda first,wait 4 hours running pump and then add the chlorine? Also for the CYA. The solid form comes in powder or is a tablet? I can only get the CYA at the pool store right? Also, after I add CYA I need to let the pump run for 24 hours? Is that correct?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

CYA (stabilizer = cyanuric acid) can be found at Walmart of big box hardware stores. It is granules that you put in a sock or t-shirt and then place in the skimmer ... squeezing often to help dissolve.

I would add the 2ppm of chlorine, wait a few minutes and then add the baking soda, test after 30 minutes and adjust the pH, test after 30 minutes, if fine, then start the SLAM. No idea where you got the 4 hours from.

You need to run the pump 24/7 while the CYA is dissolving and during the SLAM.

CYA (stabilizer = cyanuric acid) can be found at Walmart of big box hardware stores. It is granules that you put in a sock or t-shirt and then place in the skimmer ... squeezing often to help dissolve.

I would add the 2ppm of chlorine, wait a few minutes and then add the baking soda, test after 30 minutes and adjust the pH, test after 30 minutes, if fine, then start the SLAM. No idea where you got the 4 hours from.

You need to run the pump 24/7 while the CYA is dissolving and during the SLAM.

I got the 4 hour thing from the pool store and also the sheet they gave with my results says 4 hours with the baking soda, but ill do what you tell me to do..I googled it and found it at walmart. The HTH Stabilizer.Thanks for that. So for my understanding before I SLAM I'm looking to raise my FC from 0 to 3, pH in the lowers 7, TA from 30 to 70 and CYA from 0 to 30. Correct?

Thanks

The CYA will not register on the test for up to a week ... so just assume it is at 30ppm for the SLAM.

That TA is just too, low anything in the 60-80ppm is fine.
And you always want the pH to register on your test kit and it should be lower 7s to start the SLAM.

All this stuff can basically be done at nearly the same time.

The CYA will not register on the test for up to a week ... so just assume it is at 30ppm for the SLAM.

That TA is just too, low anything in the 60-80ppm is fine.
And you always want the pH to register on your test kit and it should be lower 7s to start the SLAM.

All this stuff can basically be done at nearly the same time.

Just got my pump back and running.Have a question. Can I add the bleach,baking soda and the CYA today and test tomorrow and do the SLAM tomorrow also? Or has to be the same day?

Thanks

If you read what I have previously suggested (twice I think), you could start the SLAM within 2 hours of starting. Or wait as long as you want, there is not specific time period other than allowing chemical additions 30+ minutes to mix.

If you read what I have previously suggested (twice I think), you could start the SLAM within 2 hours of starting. Or wait as long as you want, there is not specific time period other than allowing chemical additions 30+ minutes to mix.

I know I keep asking almost the same questions.srry I just want to make sure.Want to do it right and not waste all the chemicals.I will be starting everything tomorrow,haven't had time.But I was reading he SLAM process thread and I'm concern about my CH. It seems high and I don't know if I start the process if I'm going to be wasting the chemicals.Should I be worried about my CH right now? Or will it go down when I add the baking soda,bleach and cya & start doing the SLAM??

Thanks again.Sorry for many questions

CH will not go down unless you replace water with some that has a lower CH content (like rain or tap water). Yours is not too terribly high yet and manageable by keeping control of your pH.

Danny, Just to be clear I would encourage you to revisit the chain back in posts 26-28.

After you achieve the 3 criteria for a successful SLAM, you want to be targeting a FC level of 4 to ensure you stay above the minimum of 2 ppm. The 4ppm will slowly drop between your daily dosing. Normal loss is around 2ppm, but you will need to find out your pool usage and find the right target for you.

Good luck with the SLAM, you will be happy you got the XL option on the kit.

Thank for replying both of you. Appreciate the help.I will be following those criteria he mention.I just want to make sure I try and do it right the first time. But now I want to lower that CH before I start.This morning I tested the CH in the pool,pump running for 1 hour. CH-575ppm.went up a little more.Also,tested the CH of tap water CH-200ppm....How much water would I have to replace to lower that CH??

Thanks

CH will not go down unless you replace water with some that has a lower CH content (like rain or tap water). Yours is not too terribly high yet and manageable by keeping control of your pH.

Danny, Just to be clear I would encourage you to revisit the chain back in posts 26-28.

After you achieve the 3 criteria for a successful SLAM, you want to be targeting a FC level of 4 to ensure you stay above the minimum of 2 ppm. The 4ppm will slowly drop between your daily dosing. Normal loss is around 2ppm, but you will need to find out your pool usage and find the right target for you.

Good luck with the SLAM, you will be happy you got the XL option on the kit.

Thank for replying both of you. Appreciate the help.I will be following those criteria he mention.I just want to make sure I try and do it right the first time. But now I want to lower that CH before I start.This morning I tested the CH in the pool,pump running for 1 hour. CH-575ppm.went up a little more.Also,tested the CH of tap water CH-200ppm....How much water would I have to replace to lower that CH??

Thanks

Started the process today. Added the 4ppm of FC, 70ppm of baking soda and the 30ppm of CYA. tested once every 30 minutes. pH stayed at 7.2.Same with TA stayed at 70ppm. Since the numbers were good for SLAM I started the SLAM. Just added FC to the pool to bring it from 3ppm to 12ppm. Will test in 1 hour. For my understanding. I need to keep the FC in 12ppm the whole time until I reach the 3 criteria of the SLAM? So for example if FC goes down I need to bring it up to 12ppm again? Im I correct?

Thanks

Before SLAM

FC-3ppm
pH-7.2
TA-70ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.