Vacuum Pool, Dirt returns within a couple hours????

You could filter the water with a polishing bag/diesel filter bag. We had the same problem and once we put the 1 micron filter bag on during vaccuming, the problem went away. I take this attachement off about an hour after vacuuming the pool.

You can see the stub (union) I have installed when the unit is not in place

I am late to this dance but there are plenty of suggestions in here for filtration but nobody is listening to jblizzle and Casey.

Far more often than not, the dirt/sand turns out to be dead algae and the problem is with the chemistry.......always because of low chlorine.

Inexpensive filters do have an issue with cleaning power but most can trap dirt. Always assume you have a chemistry issue until you get some precision testing going (your own testing) and prove to yourself that there are no organics in your pool

I also notice an increase in sediment after the pool has been shocked, but once I vacuum (which I do about every other day) it disappears.
JenniferW,,

Why do you think that is? It's because that is not dirt, that is dead algae you have killed. It does that each time you "shock" because you never completely kill it so you are trapped in the pool store regimen of shock and swim, shock and swim. Get your pool SLAMmed and then maintain your FC and you will never have to shock the remainder of the season.

update, passed the overnight test 2 nights in a row. FC 20, CC 0. CYA 50. Now waiting on FC to come down, test for all other and fix if needed.

Question: What should be my FC reading in the morning so that it doesn't go below the min by end of day?, I know my target for min FC is 6 with a CYA of 50.

Re: FC and Sunllight

Based on your pool type and current CYA, your FC levels are as follows: Minimum = 4; Target = 6; SLAM FC = 20. So as you come-down from the SLAM, the FC will gradually lower on its own - mostly during the day when the sun is out.

Now if you are simply wondering what to brings your FC "up to" in the morning so that during the course of the day it never goes below 6, then shoot for about 10. That gives you 4 FC to play with during the day before you hit your target, and even a couple more points before the minimum. If you were to drop past both of those, something is still wrong.

Every pool is different so you will need to play with your numbers and see what works for you.

My pool (full sun from 10am to 7 pm) needs a FC of 8 in the evening (I add at night so the FC can work without the sun) to have a FC of 4 that next night. This has worked well for me. I have an CYA of 40.

Kim

Yep, need to test am and pm for a while to learn your pool's habits. I would go min of 8 ppm in the morning until you get it figured out. Your goal should be not to let it drop below target. That way you've got a little buffer. If you know you are going to have a big swim day bump it to 10 before, bump it to 10 after and then bump it to 10 one more time 2 or 3 hours later. That'll keep you ready for the next swim party.

Points to remember
Dropping to minimum or slightly below leaves your pool vulnerable to algae and not properly sanitized.
It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA
Use this chart and your CYA level to determine the chlorine level, Chlorine CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.