Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

I didn't find out about robots until it was too late. I'm pretty sure someone did comment on the polaris after I posted my specs. But..... things were flying at me from every which way, and I got muddled on a few things. Then at some point, I started reading on here about the robots - and was totally convinced. By then the gunite was in. I think maybe I can do the robot thing later, right? I know I could have saved some bucks, but honestly, I'm doing the best I can. I'm in this pool build TOTALLY by myself, and even though retired, I have many (and serious) obligations here at home. Somedays, it's almost too much. So don't fuss at me..... (insert pouty face here). I've never believed in wasting money, and my friends will tell you that my shoe squeaks when I try to put it on - sometimes both shoes! But..... I've decided I am doing WHATEVER I want with this pool (as far as my tight little fist will let me). So, if that means I throw more $$$ at this pool in a year or so on a robot, when I could have saved it earlier, then I'm doing it! (This little tantrum is NOT directed at you, Patrick; I think I'm really just trying to convince myself I haven't messed up!!! LOL!!)

Oh, pleeeeaaaasssee help with the finish for the water color. My favorite finish is the one in whatever picture I happen to be looking at.

Here's my thinking - today:
1. I am going with Pebble Sheen (this is set).
2. I don't want a dark finish - concerned about it making the water too warm in August, and about seeing the bottom clearly (yes, the PO's with a dark finish say they see fine, but it's stuck in my head, so best not to fight it)
3. I don't want white like White Diamonds - I've heard stains and algae show up more on the light, light ones
4. Up until 2 days ago, the only contenders were Blue Granite and Aqua Blue; I've seen both twice in real live pools and am still confused. Both seem to be widely liked.
5. Friday, I saw some pictures of Cool Blue that I loved (that day, that moment) But is it too light? And only one or two PO's seem to have it and show pictures

I envy those people who say, "When we went through the gate and saw the pool, we just KNEW that was the color for us!" Has never happened with me! I truly may be hopeless....

Thanks for sharing your choice, and please give me your thought process behind the choice. I soooo appreciate it! Suz.

Pebblesheen is good stuff for sure. Based on everything I've seen you say about pool color I think you want blue granite. I guarantee that you won't hate it. And I would bet a dollar that you'll love it.

I love the look of the equipment pad with the big rocks. That is VERY clean looking and should be easy to maintain. Just put some VERY good weed blocker down and put the rocks on top of it.

Here are links to two videos. You pick which one you like best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYBEt1rzkeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPyxpGdIAE

Pool finish-I agree with lighter but NOT too light as there seems to be some problems with splashiness. I would go with the blue closest to the sky on a sunny day.

So go ahead and open your kit all of the way and test your tap water. Do not bother doing the CYA test unless you just want to play with it. Your tap water will not have any.

Kim

Hi Suz. Don't fret about the robot. You should be able to switch to it now unless you already bought your pressure side cleaner (and/or your PB won't take it back). Regardless of you getting a robot, you should definitely plumb for a pressure cleaner so you can use one later if you so choose. The benefits of a robot are that they clean better and are much more energy efficient. I'm guessing your PB will let you upgrade if you ask him (but I wouldn't let him charge more than $500 for a really good model.

On the color, I think we are going Aqua luna quartz. We were also looking at Aqua pebble. The problem with looking at other pools is that the water reflects everything and landscaping, clouds, etc. all make a difference. It's sounding like you might just want to flip a coin and move on to your next decision. When you're floating in the pool and staring at the clouds - you really won't care about the color. And, at night, you'll be looking at cool colors.

Finish it already! :)

Your equipment pad it gonna look awesome! I want to do that too! When you mention a heavy weed killer - is that like the netting/mesh stuff that you put on the ground in flowerbeds?

Kim, that's a great idea! I've never heard of using roofing tar paper under rock. Of course, it would work much better.Thanks for the suggestion.

I just finished with the landscape designer. I love what she's done. When we get back home, I'll take a picture of it and post. Later. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm so excited!!! I'm attaching a photo of the preliminary plans. She gave me the original which spreads across our kitchen table, and is a watercolor rendering. All that means is that I can't leave it out for the cats to lie on and then chew it!!! I don't know how she did it, but she kept most of the plants I have (the ones I wanted to keep) and added most of the plants on my wish list. I love the deck - a combination of what the PB's had tentatively drawn with my addition of a raised area behind my bedroom. She added another raised portion of deck at the opposite corner. It's hard for me to imagine it in full scale; she told me the raised deck areas are actually small and more for looks - she said one large lounger or 2 upright chairs and a small table. But that's fine with me. Our yard is flat, and I wanted in some way to add elevations. She also added a small raised bed.

There will be a couple of changes. I want a flagstone path behind the pool connecting the two deck areas at the back. She said no problem. And another thing which I didn't notice until we left: we want our Adirondack swing included somewhere in the back. I thought we discussed it at our first meeting. Either I forgot to say something, or she did forgot I did. The more I think about these plans, I may want to add the swing after the paver deck is installed. I can't tell now the best viewing place from our back windows for the swing. And I'll need a new arbor for it to hang.

Feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions! It's so hard to catch everything on your own. Thanks guys for letting me share my fun!! Suz.

LOVE IT!!!!! I love the raised areas! Two of them off set from each other---------------purrrrfect!

I am not real good with flowers/bushes, etc but are any of them smell goods? I would have to have some that smell good right outside my window. We have a gardenia just off of our deck outside your french doors leading from our bedroom to the deck. Right now it is in bloom and smells so good awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I am so happy that she was able to give you MORE than you were thinking of!

Kim

Oh yeah!! Lots of great smell 'ems! Today, she said she could tell that was important to me because of all the smell-good ones I already had and the ones on my wish list. We don't have a lot of times in the spring when things are in bloom to open the windows. Four to six weeks of that time is pine pollen season - I don't like everything covered in yellow. But the pollen doesn't keep us from going outside, so I want heavy bloom fragrance as much as I can get!

Here are some of the plants on the plans. Most of them I already have and will relocate: jasmine by the back door, another jasmine along the side fence (near my bedroom window), lemon grass all over the yard (for mosquitoes, too), another jasmine also on the side fence but to the back of the yard, Texas Mountain Laurel (heavy grape scent) at the back, Lemon tree at the back, and plumerias in the large pots on the deck. I think several on my wish list are also fragrant, but I don't remember which ones (they're new to me). And if that isn't enough, I'll get more later, but this will get me started.

Gardenias are heavenly. At our first house, I had one that was about 9 feet tall and 6 feet wide. It was unusually large and bloomed beautifully. For some reason, I haven't had luck with gardenias at this house (26 years here). Maybe it's the soil. My grandmothers both taught me to float the flowers in large flat bowls. How they filled the house with their heavy, sweet fragrance! That would be so great to be able to walk right outside your bedroom onto a deck! Thanks for your comments! Suz.

You're right, Ernie. Thanks! I missed that. I would rather be able to go to/from the shower by a connection to the regular or lower deck. No need to step up and down for a pass through.

Now that the equipment pad has been poured, I don't think there will be room there for the shower. Instead, I'll need a pathway from that corner crossing behind the garage to the far side of the garage where we keep the trash cans and wheel barrow. I think we can go through the shower area to connect to the lower deck. I've always had a brick path there that I laid in my younger years - can't believe I forgot about that.

Well Ernie, you got my wheels turning now. I see a few more little adjustments I want to make. I also know that some of her counts for the larger plants are much higher than I will do or want to spend. But I've had landscape designers before (we always did the install ourselves), and that seems typical - always too many perrineals for an area.

This is why I love everyone's input! Suz.

This pool is like a resort. I really love the way you wrapped the steps around, so much depth and change of perception lines. I love it. Cannot wait to see it finished. Is your tile selection complete?

- - - Updated - - -

Since Mother's Day is my day to do whatever I want, I finally went outside to see all the cool equipment behind the garage. I took lots of photos, so I'll post one now. I have to say, it really was pretty exciting to see it all for the first time.

So you guys look it over, and tell me what you think. Is there anything I need to discuss with our PB? Am I in for headaches? Let me know, I can take it. I handle bad news better if I hear it early on in the game....

Thanks everybody!! Suz.

This next photo is from Robbief00's pool build thread. Isn't that awesome???? I'm posting it here (I hope that's ok), because I'm hoping to do the same with my equipment pad. It seems like it might keep it all a little neater from debris; very important (which I read about in the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" under Pump maintenance).

Love this idea also, If its ok, I might steal it :)

Sadly, the tidy rock bed in front of the equipment pad is not my idea. I got it from Robbief00's pool build thread. I need to ask him (belatedly) if it's OK! I hope he believes, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I really appreciate your kind words about our pool. I still have my doubts, but it's growing on me.

YES! Finally, tile choices have been made! I ordered some glass tile that won't be here for 2-3 weeks. That's the delay now - my own doing. But we're having so much rain, still, that I'm not sure we would be going much faster. I do hope our PB, isn't too frustrated with me. He does have most of my money now, but he probably wants to clear me from his books. Thanks again! Suz.

The bull rock etching pad is a must. I did that around the whole perimeter of my home for roof drip line ( I have no gutters) :) and it looks fab. Bull rock is easy to work with and you can either have it delivered in yards or buy them in bags. Looks good Suzy.
Flagstone steps are great. Just trim out a pathway and fill with a layer of small pea gravel and gently lay the flagstone into the gravel moving it side to side until it's just right above the gravel. It looks really nice... It makes for a nice walkway.

Blue granite is my choice from the beginning. It's just a great medium color blue.
I'm really surprised MMG don't call it an upgrade lol.

My glass should be here tomorrow or Thursday and it will be time to rock n roll..
My back paver retaining wall is 90% complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.