Bleach Prices 2015

Anyone else around Mesa, AZ here? I've been looking for a good supplier for liquid chlorine. I found the A&M / Corson Pool Supply on Southern and Val Vista that has the HASA liquid chlorine for $14.99 for a returnable 4 gallon case of 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. There is a $6 deposit for the case and bottles, however. It works out to be little cheaper than the 10% Kem-Tek that Home Depot sells, not counting the deposit.

Anyone know of better deals in the Phoenix East Valley area? Anyone know what the local prices at Leslie's or NPS is?

Try to use these coupons for your HASA http://files.ctctcdn.com/b1351a14101/17d4917f-532f-4f95-8af3-d62f5e65c40a.pdf We already had a post that Corson's doesn't care if the coupon is expired.

NPS is $4.95/2 gal and Leslie's will price match (same brand) but the Leslie's I've been to require the ad. Doesn't matter if someone an hour before you already brought the ad in and they know the price. They have to see that you have the ad.

Try to use these coupons for your HASA http://files.ctctcdn.com/b1351a14101/17d4917f-532f-4f95-8af3-d62f5e65c40a.pdf We already had a post that Corson's doesn't care if the coupon is expired.

NPS is $4.95/2 gal and Leslie's will price match (same brand) but the Leslie's I've been to require the ad. Doesn't matter if someone an hour before you already brought the ad in and they know the price. They have to see that you have the ad.

thx for posting that coupon...mind sharing how you get those monthly? i went last week to corson's and purchased the 4 pack for $14.99 + $6 deposit like kailuakowboy was talking about but those coupons would be nice once i run out :D

So what's the best deal for nationwide deals (or MD)? The cheapest I've found is Target 8.25% 121oz for $2.94.

Walmart has Great Value bleach 121oz for $2.94, but I don't know the concentration.

Shopper's has Essential everyday 121oz 8.25% for $2.99.

Home Depot has HDX 121oz 8.25% for $2.99.

I've always had this question; why can't they make sodium hypochlorite tablets? It seems like all of the chlorine tablets available add something, such as calcium or CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would worry about the degradation with that much high potency stuff. Unless you keep it indoors in the proper environment, it's going to get weak pretty quickly.

Good point. I still need to convert to TFPC next season and determine how much liquid Cl I need to add daily to keep FC in range. If I need to add 3 ppm/day, I'd use a 55 gal drum in 2 months. I figured that not too much degradation would occur in that period of time. What is the biggest enemy of concentrated Cl? Heat? UV? Time? The drum would stored in a shaded area outside. Thanks!

Brilliant! Thank you. So the key to buying bleach in bulk is to dilute it or keep it relatively cool or both. Maybe a 250 gallon underground polypropylene tank? Dilute 2 55 gallon drums with 110 gallons of water in a 250 gallon cistern...cool, dark...perfect. At least there would be no risk to ground water if a spill occurred, and that quantity would last me a season. Probably another one of my nutty ideas...

Maybe my buried tank idea is not so bonkers after all...
- An underground 250 gal polyethylene tank with a riser runs ~$500: http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/6901/250-gallon-underground-water-cistern-storage-tank-43746
- A 7 GPM chlorine-resistant transfer pump/siphon runs ~$22: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200622833_200622833
- Digging a ~4' wide by 7' deep hole to bury the tank next to my pad? (I don't know, but let's say $500).
- Stenner single speed 100 psi pump with tubing runs ~$250: http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?...ducts_id=149&gclid=CMun55zf6McCFcsXHwod2n0BZQ

Total: $1275 plus chlorine ($~600/season): http://chemdirectusa.com/SodiumHypochlorite-55gallon-1.aspx

OK. It's not a cheap solution, but I could do one "fill up" for the season with 2, 55-gal drums of 12.5% diluted to 6.25% and maintained at below-ground temp that would probably average 60-70° F. That would make temp-based degradation manageable.

Pros:
- Liquid chlorine addition in the spirit of TFPC: no pucks, no pool store schmucks.
- No risk of spilling an above ground tank with risk to kids/pets
- No schlepping bleach daily/weekly/monthly: can likely leave the pool for a few days at a time once dialed in.
- Stenner probably more reliable than a SWG (I could be wrong about this, but I'm a newbie).
- Fewer issues with pH creep as reported with SWGs.
- Pump run times/flow are not an issue: Cl can be added regardless of pump speed (I'm hoping to run a VS pump on low speed 18-20 hr/day and on higher speed 4-6 hr/day).

Cons:
- Upfront cost is equivalent to a SWG
- Operating costs (~$600 for bleach/season) are higher than SWG even considering cell replacement, etc.
- Tank could leak (seems unlikely), but no real environmental risk if it does. People put bleach down their wells frequently.
- Finding a source for 55 gal drums of 12.5% bleach (seems solvable, especially if chemdirect or another supplier pans out). Cheaper solutions seem likely. I'm still waiting to hear back from Buckmans (not expecting much, but why not try?). I have a poker buddy who works for our local water treatment company...they use tons of hypochlorite. Basically, I'm an optimist at heart.

OK. I'm guessing this idea will still sound full-on bonkers to most. I'm just tossing a newbie, maverick idea out there. Thoughts? Comments? Where has my thinking gone astray?

Cheers,

Jay

PS. Just occurred to me that maybe this has already been done and I'm not aware of it. Apologies for my ignorance if that is the case.

My inlaws own a water company and get 12.5% liquid clorine in 55 gallon barrels for $160. They asked if I wanted one but I ve already paid and had a swg installed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Not trying to burst your bubble but $160 / 55 gallons = $2.91 per gallon plus tax. The savings per active ounce ($0.004) is negligible from the cost at Ocean State Job Lot ($2.96 / gallon of 12.5%) or similar store. When you take into account the relatively rapid degradation, buying 2 weeks in advance is probably the more optimal way to go that 55 gallons at a time. There is also the question of how do you get the liquid from the drum to the pool.

Of course, if one is doing a SLAM, clean up, or conversion, it might make sense.

Not trying to burst your bubble but $160 / 55 gallons = $2.91 per gallon plus tax. The savings per active ounce ($0.004) is negligible from the cost at Ocean State Job Lot ($2.96 / gallon of 12.5%) or similar store. When you take into account the relatively rapid degradation, buying 2 weeks in advance is probably the more optimal way to go that 55 gallons at a time. There is also the question of how do you get the liquid from the drum to the pool.

Of course, if one is doing a SLAM, clean up, or conversion, it might make sense.

Fair enough.

I know my option is pricey. It was never about price but about convenience. If I could get access to 55 gal of 12.5% for $160, I'd snag it in an instant. I need to learn where I can get sufficient quantities at a good price in my area. I recognize the degradation issue, that is why I would dilute and store at a low temp in my cistern. Both dilution and low temps should slow the decay of hypochlorite. Chemgeek's chart shows manageable decay of a dilute solution of bleach at 70° F over a few months. I could live with that if I could manage FC with a seasonal solution.

Regarding the practicalities: I would transfer the concentrated (12.5%) bleach (using a transfer pump) to an underground cistern where it would be diluted 1:1 with city water. I would get the diluted bleach solution into the pool using a Stenner pump dialed in for the proper amount of daily delivery.

What is an open issue for me is how much bleach I need to add daily to our 40,000 gal pool to meet the 2-3 ppm/day requirement of TFPC. That adds up to roughly 100+ gal of 12.5% bleach over a 5 month season. There are no Walmarts or other discount stores in my area where I can easily pick up bleach on a weekly basis. Maybe I need to go SWG if I cannot make liquid Cl work.

Pardon my exuberance. I get excited by these type of challenges and sometimes get in over my head. I need clear headed folks to bring me back down to reality sometimes.

Cheers,

Jay

If one dilutes chlorinating liquid one has to do so using metal-free water. The smallest amounts of trace metals such as iron, copper, cobalt, nickel, or zinc can lead to much faster degradation. So you have to figure in the cost of using distilled or deionized water or water where all trace metals have been removed. If you use buffered water even with metals removed, you need to adjust the pH higher. 12.5% chlorinating liquid has excess lye to get it to around 12.5 in pH. 6% and 8.25% bleach has excess lye to get the pH to around 11.9. If you use distilled or deionized water (i.e. unbuffered water) then the pH will not change dramatically and you won't be introducing any metals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.