Total Solar Eclipse 2017

I watched the Nasa education feed at work. Pretty cool, but I would still like to see it in person. My son, who works at Nasa, was able to go outside for a few minutes and borrow some eclipse glasses.
zach's eclipse shadows.jpgzach's eclipse.jpg

Saw it full blown within 5 seconds of max duration. Pretty cool. Could see several planets while it was dark. Very eerie as it got darker, but the peak darkness was very sudden. Crowds weren't like they expected, but I had a cooler full of beer and a refrigerator full of food just in case. Now I guess I'll be stuck drinking all this beer.

Took this in St. Clair, MO....

36677022006_979389164b_z_d.jpg

Very cool. The sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon but the moon exacty covers the sun. Makes you think.

I'm just glad that the moon isn't a magnifying glass.

The ratios of the diameters of the sun and moon and the ratio of distances of the sun and moon to the earth are almost exactly the same .... in other words, the sun's diameter is roughly 400 times greater than the moon but the sun is also 400 times further from the earth than the moon. If it were not for that, total eclipses would never happen .... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

The sun is expanding and the moon is moving away from the Earth due to tidal forces, so in about 650 thousand years total eclipses will never happen again. A shame for whichever species is around then.

I had to lay down during totality, it was so much more than I imagined. Even my wife, who was not all that excited going in, was overwhelmed by it. The weather was perfect, not a cloud even close to blocking the show. Traffic was bad, we ended up taking a more scenic route. Probably didn't take any less time but was more fun to drive through the hills than sit on I-75 for a couple hours waiting. We did get home by 2 AM, completely worth it.

I lied in the grass, gazing at the sight above me, singing to the song that was playing. "And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." If I had a bucket list, the number one check box would have been checked at that moment...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sun is expanding and the moon is moving away from the Earth due to tidal forces, so in about 650 thousand years total eclipses will never happen again. A shame for whichever species is around then.

My vote is for cockroaches....they've outlived the dinosaurs and everything since....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.