LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background: We have a couple of large trees close to the pool & they have been dropping leaves since mid-October (and still going on). We put a LEAF NET over the pool mid-October with a blue Solar cover under that. We left it like that for about 4 weeks, not removing it as it continued to catch leaves. About 10 leaves made their way under the covers and into the pool bottom. We have been continuing to run the Filter (Cartridge) about 5-6 hours per day as well as the pool sweep (although not very efficient, obviously, seeing the leaves on the bottom). I'd been adding some Chlorine throughout these 4 weeks while covered (pool temp is down to around 60) to maintain FC 5.0 ..

So we removed the net & solar cover to find a somewhat greenish tint to the water. There were some yellowish deposits visible on the steps (fiberglass/solid), so I brushed them - this resulted in some yellowish fine debris. That debris is all over the bottom - everywhere I brush. I've been running the pump/filter 6-8 hours per day now and brushing daily, but this stuff is still visible, although the water "seems" to look a little better.

I checked my FC (7.0) and my CC (0.0) ... and have been brushing daily, with the same stuff being swept up. PH is around 7.3 - and I don't seem to be losing any FC.

So, any idea what this is & do I need to SLAM it? Is this Yellow MUSTARD algae? I'm kind of surprised that with the FC level I tend to maintain that this could happen.

Thanks in advance.

Also, so I'm clear, the Pool Calc suggests for a CYA of 35, the SHOCK=14 ... but then is also suggests for MUSTARD ALGAE, the SHOCK=22 !!! Not knowing if this is MUSTARD type algae, should I just assume it is NOT and go slow at first? I'd hate to damage the plumbing with too much CL ... and it's not too bad, yet ... I can still see the drains just fine, just regularly sweeping stuff off the steps & bottom of pool.

Any chance this could be pollen ?
I would run an OCLT Test to see if you have organics consuming chlorine or not. If you pass the OCLT no need to SLAM. Also your CYA acts as a buffer for the chlorine to take away the harshness of it. So no worry's about the FC being to high at mustard shock level or regular shock level for the CYA level. ?

Update: OK, first off, definitely NOT pollen. (Thanks though for that thought). I ran the OCLT the night before and it was definitely consuming Chlorine. So I just went ahead an SLAMMED it last night after bringing my PH down to 7.2. Brought it to a Shock level of FC=13 (for a CYA=35). Ran filter all night and checked again this morning: FC=12.5 , so good ...... water definitely looks less green to me today. (Maybe an illusion or just hopeful thinking ..lol). Anyway, I'll brush it down today a couple of times & continue my high(er) level CHLORINE for a couple of days. Hopefully I got on top of this early enough that it will clear fast.

Thanks everyone for the support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.