Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low PH level

1. Back To Top    #1

Low PH level

I have been running a low PH for most of this season (mostly between 7.0 and 7.2). What are the negative effects of running a low PH? I will probably put in some borax tonight to raise it to the 7.4-7.6 level, but just currious if running it low can cause any permanent/temporary damgage.

Thanks in advance
    16 x 32 ABG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low PH level

Low PH can damage pool equipment like heaters, etc., as it is corrosive, and it can also damage pool surfaces.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the PH is always at least 7.0 there shouldn't be any damage to the pool or equipment. The risk in being right around 7.0 is that you can easily go lower.

Many people have eye irritation when the PH is below 7.2. Everyone is differernt, so it may not bother you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have one of the recommended test kits (K-2005), but it only goes as low as 7.0, so I'm really not sure how low it is or was, but recently my son complained of eye irritation so I will definitely raise it today, but how do you get accurate PH readings below 7.0?

Thanks Again
    16 x 32 ABG

5. Back To Top    #5

Some of the PH tests go down to 6.8, actually your test works down to 6.8 if you know what color to look for. To read lower than that you need a different, not swimming pool, PH test kit.

Generally, instead of knowing the exact PH, you just raise the PH by about 0.4 and see where that gets you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually I gave you the wrong test kit # mine is K-2006 and my PH tube only goes down to 7.0 and since It's never a perfect match it makes me wonder if I'm at 7.1 or 6.8 or less. But I guess it may be irrelevant because if it's that low I should raise it anyway like you said.

Thanks for the help.
    16 x 32 ABG

7. Back To Top    #7

What is your TA and what kind of chlorine are you using? (I suspect that constant low pH means you are using trichlor). A full set of test results would be helpful.

8. Back To Top    #8

I got my PH up (using PH-Up from the pool store) to 7.4, so for the time being I'm ok. I almost exclusively use bleach to chlorinate except when I went on my recent 10 day vacation (I "shocked with bleach and floated several pucks). Not only was the pool crystal clear when I came back but I still had a lot of FC (over 10).

For the record my current numbers are as follows:

PH 7.4
    FC 5.0
    TC 5.0
    CYA 35
    TA 100

Thanks again
    16 x 32 ABG

9. Back To Top    #9

In the future, before going to the pool store (or any store) turn your eyball jets towards the surface. By breaking the surface, it helps to raise your Ph. I find this is just as effective and a whole lot less expensive.
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)