Bleach Prices

In the grocery stores near me (SF bay area), 182-oz 6% bleach runs $3.49-$4.49;
there's a house brand on sale at $2.99 but the label doesn't specify % hypochlorite.

By contrast, pool stores have 12% for $3.75-$4.40/gal, so cheaper than the bleach.
Plus one shop has a 2-for-1 web special...

--paulr

PaulR said:
In the grocery stores near me (SF bay area), 182-oz 6% bleach runs $3.49-$4.49;
there's a house brand on sale at $2.99 but the label doesn't specify % hypochlorite.

By contrast, pool stores have 12% for $3.75-$4.40/gal, so cheaper than the bleach.
Plus one shop has a 2-for-1 web special...

--paulr

Costco is $7.59 in my area for three 182 oz bottles of Clorox. I find that my pH does not rise rise nearly as much with Clorox than with the Aldi house brand. I think Chemgeek explained this on another thread.

It's pretty simple. Most house brands of bleach have more "excess lye" in them compared to Clorox Regular unscented. The Clorox has a pH of around 11.4 which gives a negligible rise in pH from its use (including chlorine consumption). House brands may have a pH of 12.5 so would add an additional pH rise of about 0.1 (at TA 100) after 30 ppm FC cumulative (2 weeks to 1 month, depending on daily usage). That's all on top of any pH rise due to outgassing of carbon dioxide from the pool.

Richard

chem geek said:
It's pretty simple. Most house brands of bleach have more "excess lye" in them compared to Clorox Regular unscented. The Clorox has a pH of around 11.4 which gives a negligible rise in pH from its use (including chlorine consumption). House brands may have a pH of 12.5 so would add an additional pH rise of about 0.1 (at TA 100) after 30 ppm FC cumulative (2 weeks to 1 month, depending on daily usage). That's all on top of any pH rise due to outgassing of carbon dioxide from the pool.

Richard

Richard

I remember you mentioning that here or on the old board so I started using Clorox only and have found I rarely add acid anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.