OCLT Question

tim5055: Based on your response to this post I reread the OCLT directions on this page:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

It doesn't mention running the pump during the OCLT. I guess it is assumed that if you are SLAMming then you are running your pump. But if you're doing the OCLT to see if there is a problem or not you wouldn't necessarily be running the pump. Maybe one of the moderators could update that page to reflect that the pump should be running during an OCLT for us newbies who wouldn't know that.

Thanks!

Ok, Pool is clear and I am entering the OCLT phase... my question is... what is the minimum amount of hours that would qualify? If my last test of the evening is 10pm and I test at 5am is this the same as someone who tests at 10pm and then retests at 8am?

Or is the direct sunlight the qualifier, should lose no more than 1ppm between periods of no direct sunlight on the pool?

Is there any noted variance between the temps of the water... spring cleaning vs summer where water may be 15-25 degrees difference?

asking for a friend ~ :confused:

Ok, Pool is clear and I am entering the OCLT phase... my question is... what is the minimum amount of hours that would qualify? If my last test of the evening is 10pm and I test at 5am is this the same as someone who tests at 10pm and then retests at 8am?

Or is the direct sunlight the qualifier, should lose no more than 1ppm between periods of no direct sunlight on the pool?

Is there any noted variance between the temps of the water... spring cleaning vs summer where water may be 15-25 degrees difference?

asking for a friend ~ :confused:

LOL tell your friend not to overthink it. Just test once the sun is down and again in the morning before there is direct sun on the pool. A 10 pm and 5 am sounds perfect. I just did one last night and tested at 8pm and 6:30am. Passed, woohooo

tim5055: Based on your response to this post I reread the OCLT directions on this page:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

It doesn't mention running the pump during the OCLT. I guess it is assumed that if you are SLAMming then you are running your pump. But if you're doing the OCLT to see if there is a problem or not you wouldn't necessarily be running the pump. Maybe one of the moderators could update that page to reflect that the pump should be running during an OCLT for us newbies who wouldn't know that.

Thanks!
Sorry, I missed this question before. Yes, we are in the process of going over all of our support documentation to make sure the advise is consistant across all of it.

Tell your friend that the idea is to have well mixed water. If you turn the pump off too soon after adding your last chlorine the the "start" water sample may not be an accurate representation of the bulk pool water FC level. Or, in the morning if you don't run the pump long enough before taking your "end" water sample the same thing may occur, you may have an area where there is algae hidden that is consuming the chlorine but if the water is not well mixed you may not see the drop in FC that would indicate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.