Replacement Pump Options

Sep 6, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hi all, I have some stupid questions about replacing pumps.

I believe my Hayward Super II is ruined. The motor gave up the ghost, and on disassembly, I found the diffuser to be melted - i.e., when stood on the rearward edge, the tube in the center is off vertical. The basket inside the pump is also slightly warped.

Although the other components are Hayward, is there any issue with replacing this pump with a different brand? (Other than replumbing to the new pump size, that is.)

If so, does anyone have recommendations about the best brand? (Cost IS an issue, but please recommend regardless.)

I've heard conflicting information about equivalent pump size, when it comes to the motor. Does that mean the same HP, or the same HP x SF? My filter specs say 72 GPM - does that make a difference too?

Any information and insights are appreciated.

Brand makes no difference (except as it may interface with an automation system). I just replaced a Hayward Super II (2 hp) pump with a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. I'm very happy with my new variable speed pump and it looks like it will pay for itself in energy savings. But, at $835 for the pump it is a fairly big initial investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.