Hayward Super Pump 3/4 hp Pops circuit breaker

My pool is at a vacation home in NY State, so it is mainly used weekends. The pump is controlled by a timer, and operates from 7AM to 5PM.

On Friday a few weeks ago, I found the circuit breaker had popped. I was able to reset it, so the pump was back in operation, and ran perfectly at least through Sunday.

The following week, I again found the circuit break popped. Again I was able to reset it, and the pump was back in operation. However, on Saturday morning, the pump once again popped the breaker, and this time I couldn't reset it. The timer showed that it was at start-up.

I disconnected the pump at the switch box next to the pool, and was able to reset the breaker. I tested the voltage at the switch box, and it was 115-120v. (My pump motor is set correctly). This also indicated the problem was in the pump itself.

I attached a plug to the end of the pump wires, and the pump started right up when I plugged it in the next morning.

It's a relatively new pump. My first Super Pump lasted 17 years. Its replacement was put out of action after 8 years because a garter snake crawled inside, and got barbecued.

I've checked the start capacitor, and it's okay, within tolerances.

I've installed a backup pump to get the pool running again, and haven't had any problems with the backup since.

Can anyone give me a suggestion what to check next? The pump runs perfectly, when it runs. What condition might be present at start-up that would cause it to pop the breaker?

Thanks. LH521

Not easily. It's the only GFCI in that sub-panel. I would purchase a new one and install it, but we're closing down the pool next weekend (gets cold early in the mountains).

Why would you suspect the breaker, which wouldn't reset with the questionable pump in line, then did reset with the questionable pump removed, and hasn't popped in the three to four weeks the backup pump has been installed? That would seem to indicate a pump problem rather than a faulty breaker.

Or am I perhaps missing something? Can a breaker be tripped by one pump, and not by a similar pump?

Thanks. LH521

The Superpump does have a centrifugal switch and if it is getting stuck sometimes on start, then that could trip the circuit breaker on start. But if it works sometimes, it would appear to be fine. You can inspect the springs and contacts to make sure everything is in working order.

Once a breaker trips, it just keeps getting "weaker". The springs simply wear out. Maybe that breaker is simply tripping at a low amp draw because it is worn out.

I disassembled the pump that was popping the circuit breaker, and, as in the first pump that died, found a cooked garter snake in it, up against the impeller end. The snake had crawled through one of the vent holes and through the coils.

Here's my next question: how do I keep the snakes out? I'm considering anchoring some aluminum screening across the vent holes with silicon, but I'm concerned that this might reduce the air flow to the motor.

What do you think?

Thank you for all your advice. LH521

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.