Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light

My pool has a 300 watt bulb which is awfully bright and consumes allot of electricity. Can I replace it with a 100 or 75 watt halogen bulb? Does it have to be a bulb specifically designed for pools?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light

Anybody???
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw where somebody else had installed a dimmer on the light, and I am thinking of doing the same. It is MUCH easier to put a dimmer on the deck, then to pull the light out of the water and change the bulb!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

4. Back To Top    #4

My light is an AquaLumin II with a 250 watt Halogen tube type bulb. I got a replacement from a local hardware store, it is the same type bulb that is used in some work and yard lights. They come in different lengths and wattages, so make sure that you get one that fits your fixture. Good Luck!!!
    Aquabots

5. Back To Top    #5

I saw the dimmer in this link-
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...184429851.html
    This guy TOTALLY re-built his pool!
    Aquabots

6. Back To Top    #6

I would skip the Halogen and move to LED. I use the Pentair Intellibrite lights and have been very pleased with them. IntelliBrite LED pool lights need only 37 watts to create the same light output as traditional incandescent and halogen pool lights do at 200 watts—more than 87% less! That’s because incandescent and halogen bulbs use only a small amount of their electricity consumption for emitting light. LED lights, by contrast, use 100% of energy to produce light. The life of an IntelliBrite LED is approximately 30,000+ hours compared to only 5,000 hours for a traditional incandescent bulb. Intial cost is high, but the cost savings in replacements and energy outweigh this.
    24K gal. 22 X 40' Fox Lagoon IG Vinyl, 7' Fox 25 jet raised Spa, Intelliflow VS-3050 pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Easy Touch Controller, Easy Touch Wireless Remote, Pentair Legend cleaner w/ booster pump, Pentair 250,000 BTU heater, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, & Pentair Intellibrite LED lighting.

7. Back To Top    #7

Installed a push ON/OFF dimmer(it was only $5) and it works fine. The only fly in the ointment is the water-resistant cover wouldn't close because of the amount that knob stuck out. I massaged the knob and the shaft to get the lid to close.
    Aquabots

8. Back To Top    #8

I removed the light from the niche and found out it is a Pentair Aqualite with a 250W T-4 Halogen bulb. Since I don't need it so bright, I replaced it with a 75W. I'll see how well it works tonight.