Pool Pump Replacement Help needed

Aug 11, 2014
Anderson, IN
This is the first time I have posted to TFP. I am a pool novice and have received so much good advice and guidance from many TFP articles and forums that I thought it was time to finally post a question myself. My current pump is a Hayward Superpump with a 3/4HP, Single Speed motor with 115V. I run it 24x7. The pump was here when I moved to this house 3yrs ago and by the looks of it, is pretty old. It is leaking bad again and I think it's time to replace it. I would think moving to a 2 speed Superpump or Superflo would be good so that I can obtain additional cost savings over a single speed. My utility rate is only .099/kWh though. My pool is a 25K gal IG pool w/2 returns, a main drain in the deep end and a skimmer in the shallow. Piping is 1.5.

Any and all help/recommendations on what to buy is appreciated. My breaker is completely full so I would like to stay at 115V.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Finding 115V 2-speed pumps is a little challenging as only the smallest are not 230V. You would have to find a Superflo 3/4HP 2-speed or a similar Hayward (not sure what they offer in that voltage).

Where is the pump leaking? It might be cheaper and easier to just get a new 2-speed motor for your existing pump and replace all the seals with a "go-kit".

I would assume that the Superflo would use about the same power on high as your current pump does. However, on low speed, it will move half the water for 1/4 the power cost. So even doubling the run time on low to move the same amount of water would save 50% of the cost.

Since you currently run 24/7 (WAY overkill), doing so on low speed would use 1/4 the amount of power (also WAY overkill).

As long as your current pump is not cracked, all the seals are easily replaced and you can get a 2-speed motor. Should be at least $100 cheaper than buying the new pump. But if your current one is very old, then just replace it.

Thanks for advice and information. I will go with the Superflo then. I think I will also cut down the usage then, but I need to have a timer installed for that I assume. I am not handy enough to install so I will have to get an electrician to install. How many hours a day (approximately) do I need to run the pump? Again, thanks so much to all for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.