Upgrading Intex filter?

Jul 2, 2014
Charleston/SC
Hi everybody!

In June we bought and installed our first above-ground pool. We started with an Intex 15ft X 48inch round. It took me a few weeks to get the hang of the chemical thing and keep it from getting algae, but thanks to this forum, we have a beautiful clear pool that the kids LOVE to play in. BUT, our filter keeps cutting off and not wanting to start back up. Today it wouldn't come on at all. We put in the call to Intex and they are sending a new one. I have no idea how long that will take! I think we should upgrade though. I have read that the filters that come with the Intex pools aren't really big enough to handle the amount of water in the pools. If that is true, what filter should I upgrade to that will be compatible with my pool? I would hate to trade one problem for another. Like will a new filter fit with the hoses for my pool?

Any thoughts?

Yep, either the 1,600 or 2,650 intex sand filter hooks right up and is a big upgrade. Which one you get depends on how much you want to spend. For 4,400 gallons the 1,600 is fine, which is what I have foe my 4,000 gallon pool. Turnover is fine for that size pool.

1,600 gph is 1/2 hp whereas 2,650 is .95 hp, so higher cost per pump hour. Considering a lot of people have 3/4 to 1 hp for pools 3 times as big, I think 1/2 hp is fine. Main advantage is increased filter area which means less frequent backwash, but not sure that outweighs increased electricity cost.

I'm sure some will disagree. Just offering my. 02.

Yep, either the 1,600 or 2,650 intex sand filter hooks right up and is a big upgrade. Which one you get depends on how much you want to spend. For 4,400 gallons the 1,600 is fine, which is what I have foe my 4,000 gallon pool. Turnover is fine for that size pool.

1,600 gph is 1/2 hp whereas 2,650 is .95 hp, so higher cost per pump hour. Considering a lot of people have 3/4 to 1 hp for pools 3 times as big, I think 1/2 hp is fine. Main advantage is increased filter area which means less frequent backwash, but not sure that outweighs increased electricity cost.

I'm sure some will disagree. Just offering my. 02.

I believe Intex is using "peak" ratings rather the true HP ratings. But irregardless it is a fact the 2650 is going to use more electricity than the 1600 hour for hour. If you don't have an Intex SWG you can offset that by shorter run time if that's a concern.

It took me a while to decide between the two. Obviously I ended up with the 2650. Because I have a SWG the larger filter and less frequent back washing appealed to me. Also coming from the cartridge filter I wanted to make sure I ended up with plenty of flow for vacuuming.

Probably can't go wrong either way. 2650 would provide some extra capacity if you think you may want to move up to a larger Intex pool in the near future. But the 1600 would probably be plenty to get you by with what you've got.

Decisions decisions.

Thinking further down the line...... If you ever might think of upsizing your pool (your Intex might last 4 years), I would go with the bigger.
I cant speak to the increase in electric, I cant imagine it being more than 7-9 dollars/ month. but the less frequent backwash mean you wont have to balance the refill water more often.
The bigger pump will filter the pool faster so theoretically you wont have to run your pump as long.
The bigger pump will also run any automatic pool vacuum you might want to get in the future.
Personally I would go with the bigger, but if you look at my signature you will see I am in major overkill zone with my pump/filter now. (We are upgrading pools big time next year)
Good Luck and welcome to TFP!

I'm in the same boat with my 16x48, I'd rather get 2650 and be overkill than 1600 and regret

There was a discussion similar to this when I was deciding between the two a couple years ago. There was a quote in there that really kind of cemented my choice.

Somebody commented in reference to the 2650; paraphrasing "Yea but isn't there a such thing as too much pump"
One of the moderators replied "Yes there is, but this isn't it"

For me the decision was made, and the 2650 was ordered. No regrets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.